May

Election day Open Thread

Does Ron Moore finally get the heave-ho?

Here’s some thinking music:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DpG6uXhZ8[/youtube]

Comments

1. andrew Dahm says:

My lovely bride and I and our spectacular dog showed up to vote at 7:30. Staff wasn’t near ready, still booting computers. I was voter number 2. Dog was not allowed indoors, which is like setting fire to a Caravaggio. There were no “I voted” stickers, which means my toilet will not be getting a new “I voted” sticker.

It was a low-turnout kind of experience.

The new system for reporting election results online at the BOE website is a total fail. There is no reporting of which precincts are reporting, no precinct level results at all and while it claims that 29 out of 80 precincts in Buncombe County are currently reporting it also claims that 69 out 80 are reporting in the DA race.

Why this need to fix the previous system when it wasn’t broken?

3. Jeff Mclarty says:

Information is the opiate of the asses. Or something.
    I’m just glad that when I played the music above, the Colbert video further down started automatically. The two went so well together it was several seconds before I realized something was amiss. I thought Shad was turning me on to a new art form.

4. andrew Dahm says:

Miranda DeBruhl. That is all.

5. nick s says:

That was quite a heave: 67/33 unofficially.

David King gone as well, thanks (I assume) to local crazy person Jane Bilello and her merry gang of loons getting behind Miranda DeBruhl after Lewis Clay flamed out. King came across as a bit of a naif during the Moffitt-Turner thing, at least in terms of being oblivious to the tactics of the New Model Republican Army that sees dirty politics as the path to power.

Looks like Robin Hudson is going to make it through as well. Clay Aiken left us a nice message this morning about that one.

6. That was quite a heave: 67/33 unofficially.

That last minute “Ron Moore has no way to find out how you voted” campaign must have done the trick.

There is just something undemocratic about having uncontested races in a fall general election. The DA race was decided last night. District 1 County Commission was decided last night. District 3 County Commission was decided last night (by fewer than 3,500 people.) Republicans had no say in the DA or District 1 election. Democrats had no say in the District 3 election. Something is wrong with this picture.

8. Republicans had no say in the DA or District 1 election. Democrats had no say in the District 3 election.

Sure they did. “Say, does anyone want to run against these guys in the general election? No? OK then.”

I get what you’re saying, though. But there’s no way either party is going to go along with screwing up control of their respective “safe” seats, even if there was a way to do it legally or logistically. Would Republicans really want Democrats to be able to vote for, say, David King? Nope.

A partial solution is to register unaffiliated. You get to pick which ballot you want to vote on.

Anyway, haven’t you heard? According to GOP Senatorial candidate Greg Brannon, Democracy is Socialism.

Agreed. I wasn’t suggestions any kind of concrete proposal, and I certainly understand what tyou say about parties and their safe seats. I just sort of wondering aloud about what seems to be a less than democratic scenario and process.

I do wonder if King was hurt some by the Moore/Williams race. Were a lot of unaffilateds, for whom a noticeably less ideologically driven Republican like King might have some appeal, choosing a Democratic ballot to vote for DA rather than a Republican one to vote for King?

On top of that, how will these results effect Joe Belcher? Will seeing what happened to his District 3 colleague make him move to the right to head off a primary challenge? I understand that District 3 favors Republicans, but I don’t think it is totally unwinnable for a Democrat so it is disappointing none wanted to run this year.

10. nick s says:

“Were a lot of unaffilateds, for whom a noticeably less ideologically driven Republican like King might have some appeal, choosing a Democratic ballot to vote for DA rather than a Republican one to vote for King?”

And voting for Kay Hagan in the Senate primary as well? There were roughly the same number of votes county-wide in the Dem Senate primary (17,000+) as there were in the DA primary, compared to about 8,500 in the GOP Senate primary; 4,500 Dem votes in the District 2 commissioner race and 8,200 in the District 1 race. Perhaps you had moderate GOP supporters in D3 voting against Moore and for Hagan (for whatever reason), but that seems like a stretch.

I absolutely hate uncontested races and primaries that are decided by 15% turnouts, and I’d prefer RON (re-open nominations, not Mr Moore) as an minimal option on a November ballot, but NC is still struggling with the concept of free and fair elections.

11. Were a lot of unaffilateds, for whom a noticeably less ideologically driven Republican like King might have some appeal, choosing a Democratic ballot to vote for DA rather than a Republican one to vote for King?

Good point. Had I not really wanted to vote on the DA race, I may have asked for a GOP ballot for that very reason.

We’re trapped in a two-party system that serves the parties first, and democracy second. It sucks.

12. One another topic, does anybody know where a breakdown of the results by precinct can be found? The new BOE web site does not seem to have one.

Called the Buncombe BOE, and the answer appears to be that the State BOE dropped the contract they had with an outside company that compiled things like precinct breakdown in real time, and posted them immediately. The ‘results’ page we see now is actually run by the state itself, instead of an outside vendor, and so the precinct breakdowns won’t come until after ‘canvas’ which is next Tuesday.

Stupid government. When will they realize they should privatize things like this?

13. Devin Walsh says:

The real problem with District 3 is that, without a dem opponent there in the fall, the GOP will be able to throw all their assets into defeating Frost. For the first time ever, I feel sorry for the kids at Warren Wilson…

14. Tillis does a faceplant on national TV the day after winning the GOP Senatorial primary:

“Barack Obama and Kay Hagan think that the minimum wage needs to be the same in the mountains of North Carolina and the in city of Boston it makes no sense to me,” Tillis said on the show. “It’s a decision that needs to be made closest to – with the people closest to the situation. And I think that’s states legislatures.”

Clearly, he thinks that minimum wage workers in Boston should be paid more than those in Asheville, or Franklin, or Boone. Thanks Thom. Thanks a lot.

Subtext: “Those Teabaggers in Buncombe voted for Greg Brannon. Let them eat kudzu.”

Well, of course! Republicans are all for decisions being made closer to the people (minimum wage, education policy, etc.) except when they aren’t (district vs. at large elections, control of airports and water sources, living wage ordinances by municipalities etc.)