Apr

Gordon Smith for Asheville City Council

Screenshot 2013-04-17 at 8.45.38 AMGood morning, Hooligans. I’m happy to announce that I’m running for re-election to Asheville’s City Council. Click here to find the website.

Thank you for all of your support through my first term on Asheville’s City Council. We’ve accomplished a lot together. These steps have taken us closer and closer to being an affordable, sustainable community with a strong middle class. We’re not there yet, and policy decisions forced upon us from Raleigh aren’t making things easier for anybody.

I’m running for re-election to City Council because I believe we can grow Asheville’s middle Class. We can continue to support the creation of living wage jobs and accelerate our medium and small businesses in new ways. We can have more affordable housing, a more comprehensive multimodal transportation network, and stronger food systems. We can invest in our city, creating conditions for a healthy economic future.

Asheville is an aspirational city. We aspire to sustainability in our economy, our environment, and our society. We are people who work hard to make a living and to make a difference. Together we can continue on a path to prosperity that gives everyone the opportunity for a great life.

Comments

So Sue, what was the last thing you actually approved of?

Wow! Let me go ride in the rain, and let cars splash me and look all so professional as I talk with clients.

Let me know which rainy day you want to ride with me, Sue. I’m not working right now, so, I don’t mind getting wet. Do you?

MM=abolish cars?

Wow! Probably the most blatant all-or-nothing thinking I’ve read here for awhile .

I’ll leave potential diagnostic categories you exhibit, overall, alone.

3. Andrew Dahm says:

“He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help.” – Abraham Lincoln

Asheville FM’s Kim Roney invited me on for an interview. Give it a listen.

LINK FIXED

Is that a link? It’s not working. Or, maybe, I’m not.

6. Raven Ravinoff says:

@ Sue

If that’s all you can find about Gordon to bitch about then I’d say that puts him MILES ahead of most ‘politicians’.

He’s shown that he is a proponent of equality, affordable housing, food security, alternative transportation, and living wages. Not by talking about them, but by actually helping the city move towards positive improvements in those areas.

I can understand if those things aren’t important to you. Maybe there’s a candidate that does stand for what you want to see happen. If not, maybe YOU should be that candidate.

However, these things ARE important to me and I’m glad Gordon is there to give them the attention they deserve.

7. mmurrayb says:

It’s still too early for me to commit but I really like what I have read and heard about Gwen Wisler, we need more business people on the Council.

Well, let’s see…Gordon has an independent business in private practice. Cecil has written books, and who knows what else? Jan Davis owns a store. Esther is an attorney. I don’t know about everyone else.

That seems like a lot of business all mixed in.

Some pretty smart folks.

9. mmurrayb says:

I mean a cfo, cpa and ceo background,that impresses me. Experience managing large organizations, large numbers of personnel, shareholder accountability, high level negotiations, dealing with those you don’t necessarily like, real corporate experience. Our city is facing real challenges, many needs and not enough resources. The city council at times seems to lack focus,direction and a vision.Its time for a new slate of people and I am just not impressed with the incumbents right now, that could change between now and the election.My vote is sacred and I just don’t give it to anyone and Councilman Smith and others are going put forth some real effort and start walking the walk to earn my vote again.

10. nick s says:

“I mean a cfo, cpa and ceo background,that impresses me.”

I’m not into C-suite fetishism: over the past 30 years, there’s been a misguided conflation and elevation of corporate seniority into absolute seniority (see: Thomas Frank’s One Market Under God). Cities are not businesses. Residents are not employees or shareholders or customers or clients. A lot of the “I made payroll” rhetoric is irrelevant jargon, unless you’re proposing to fire certain parts of the city and escort them from the premises with their belongings in cardboard boxes.

Would I like City Council to be collectively less gullible in its dealings with corporations? For sure. Does that mean we should elect foxes to guard the henhouse? Not necessarily.

11. mmurrayb says:

Right now we are under assault from outside sources and we need equally strong and cutthroat individuals to fight back.A woman does not become a CEO by being a shrinking violet.

12. Doug Gibson says:

mmurrayb,

It’s time for a new slate of people.

Just for clarity’s sake—it it your opinion that no one currently up for reelection should return to council?

“.My vote is sacred and I just don’t give it to anyone “
    ~mmurrayb

Ah but wouldn’t it be lovely if the elected felt that same “sacredness” toward their duties???

14. Alan Ditmore says:

No incumants have done squat for affordability, multimodal transport or equality so asheville clearly needs a completely fresh slate, especially for mayor. These claims of progress are completely bogus to the point that Asheville Council comes close to deserving what Raleigh is doing to them. Plus I see this website is up to it’s old vowel censorship again and I would vvote against Smith for his complity in that censorship alone.

15. Alan Ditmore says:

On equality, under a quarter of Asheville employees are LGBTQ still, and they still have less seniority, so the city has barely started on that front. Plus basic rents are still sky high. Theres no excuse for taking pride in that record in what should be the Southeasts premere gay and affordable enclave.

Alan, the comments are not removed. If one really wants to read it, all you have to do is fill in the blanks. That’s not true censorship. Cnsrshp s prvntn f spch.

Crazy, indeed, Shad! You talking about me? Why? I KNEW you were out to get me! Stop talking about me, dammit! I’ve got other voices to worry about.

Mental health parity.

An idea whose time has come.

RHS: are YOU saying I am crazy?? No? Okay, I admit it.
    ;-)

TJ: No. Not at all! You were not the inspiration for my post. :-)