Nov

Friday Open Thread

How black is your Friday?

Categories : News

Comments

1. black as night. black as coal. i wanna see it painted. painted black. la la la la la la la la black. la la la la la black. black.

black.

black……

yea, anyway. amuse yourselves with back-and-forth between myself and a fashion writer down here over the basic cruelty of the American economy vis-a-vis retail workers and black friday.

note that i was nice and didn’t call him out for his blatant admission in the piece that he uses black friday as an excuse to get new clothes for himself and his wife. i didn’t, not because i think that’s kind of selfish but rather because i can also see how a lot of people are probably doing that because their wages are depressed. here’s some more fun back and forth on that in a about a charleston biz owner who was on MSNBC/CNBC this week.

hmm. i was going to add something else here but i got totally distracted by something and now i don’t know what i was going to say. probably something about how the buy local crowd is just shuffling profits to a different set of capitalists and it still encourages conspicuous consumption in the name of propping up a dying system and how the real push among “progressives” needs to focus more on sustainable living and not just on shifting money from one set of owners to another at the cost of our livability.

oh, but sigh. i realize that everyone’s going to call that a bunch of negativity and all that. oh well. maybe i’ll get a lobotomy and go buy a television or three in a little while.

go america! god bless black friday. buy local!

Black enough to go to the Hendersonville Rd Walmart, and protest in solidarity of the workers nationwide, who walk out in protest today.

“hmm. i was going to add something else here but i got totally distracted by something and now i don’t know what i was going to say.”

That’s okay, Andrew, as long as you stand by what you were going to say…whatever it was. ;-)

Black as coal,
    black as obsidian,
    blacker than an ace of spades…..and I’m not shopping.

Can’t figure how to attach the photo.

Here’s a shout out to the two female managers at the Hendersonville Rd. Walmart where we supported workers choosing to walk out (and not). I told them I’d give them special mention on my FB page and the ‘net, for their poor customer service. After all, the customer is always right, right? I approached them to ask them if they heard about the nationwide drive for workers to strike, and, for some strange reason, as I stood patiently waiting for them to finish their earphone discussion, they turned and walked away without so much as a happy Black Friday.

So, HI LADIES!! See you next time, I hope ;-)

6. Andrew Dahm says:

We may have discovered intelligent life in Western North Carolina.

Thanks, Andrew. That looks like something I might attend.

Maybe, just maybe, the powers that be are fixin’ to understand the potential amongst the local entreprenuers, brewers, artisans, culinery experts, and upstarts in our area.

9. Andrew Dahm says:

For reasons including a busted walkin cooler and a troubled code-and-permitting takeoff to our current expansion, I never had time to distribute the 15 or so pages I wrote about the nexus of tourism and artisanal industry, and what it could mean to our area. It has footnotes, and outperforms Ambien.

I loved the phrase “closed-loop economies” in the Mountain Xpress article, and figure other folks smarter than me can see what I see.

There’s a lot of great stuff from Italy about the revival of roadside bistros and local food in the face of Carrefours’ and Aldi’s conquest of that country, and a lively debate about the role of incentives there.

10. tatuaje says:

Interesting article over at the WaPo.

Republicans face unexpected challenges in coastal South amid shrinking white vote.

The nation’s first black president finished more strongly in the region than any other Democratic nominee in three decades, underscoring a fresh challenge for Republicans who rely on Southern whites as their base of national support.

I’m in Chicago now…what is apparent is that big city means C.O.R.P.O.R.A.T.E, with all it’s dehumanization. Making me even more aware of what a superior quality of life is offered to citizens/families in keeping it regional, relative to the culture of the area and do-able without stripping workers of their quality of life.

I bet they have a decent Jewish deli there tho.

13. Ascend of Asheville says:

There’s pastrami in the French Market that is just awesome. But they never heard of Lusty Monk. I preached the gospel that afternoon, indeed.