Nov

What Are You Most Thankful For?

I don’t know if it happens at your place, but at the familial headquarters of our little clan where Papa resides in his beautiful late autumn of life, at some time in between the setting of the table and the saying of the graces there is a moment when everyone joins hands around the room and we each get to announce, in various shades of sarcasm, pride, religious zeal and weepy sentimentality, what it is we are most thankful for.

Despite my best attempts at maintaining an ironic distance from this sappy display of Americana de la Rockwell brought to life, it never fails to make my chest swell and my eyes water.

Because really, there is so much to be thankful for. These family rituals serve to remind us that we have people around us near and far to love, admire, bitch at and brawl with. For me, that includes the people who come here and read, speak their minds, argue and exposit. Thank you Hooligans, for keeping it interesting.

Comments

1. Don Fickles says:

What better way to start the day than with a Thanksgiving Prayer?

Or with the somehow timeless story of the 27 8″ X 10″ color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one?

Okay, I asked for it, so here it goes:

Thankful for:

In retrospect, with my broken down car, remembering I still have two usable legs, getting in better condition for TKD, and, seeing more of life in the neighborhood.

For truly wonderful friends, including two who love me enough to give me a free car, so I can get back to the business of supporting others.

Friends (in the deepest meaning of the word)who believe in me, and see a vision for my future, even when I don’t.

My 15 yo son, who still hugs me every day, despite raging harmones ;-)

My daughter, whose heart gets deeper and deeper.

All of y’all, for a multitude and variety of reasons, unique to each of you.

And, life, even at its most absurd and chaotic moments.

(Still can’t sum it up so briefly as yours, Andy.

David, I need a cartoon to sum it up. And, your great bi-lines.

Oops, forgot something:

Grateful I don’t have to hold hands to say all that ;-), and, that it is true EVERY day, not just 24 hours.

Too many people wait for the eulogy.

4. Daniel Hopkins says:

Medicare.

Still being employable.

It’s been a rough year for my friend, Susie Madrak, at C&L. She had no insurance and needed gall bladder surgery, fast. Thanks to Obamacare, she got it:

Since then, because I’ve had insurance, I get those preventive tests you’re supposed to get. They caught a precancerous polyp through my colonoscopy. (It was a lot cheaper than treating me for colon cancer.) Through an endoscopy, I was diagnosed with h.pylori, which often proceeds to gastric cancer. Next month, I will get a skin cancer exam.

And when I came down with a killer case of bronchitis this week, I could actually pick up the phone and make a doctor’s appointment without freaking out about the cost. (My prescriptions are covered, too.)

These are the things you don’t notice when you don’t need them, or when you can afford them. But there are many more people like me, and thanks to Obamacare, we have health insurance. It’s no small thing.

We all know it’s not enough. We know we have a long way to go. But it’s a lot better than dying, and for that, I’m very, very grateful.

It is indeed a Big F*cking Deal.

Smarter than the average bear.

But, to answer her question, YES, they do want all that money!

One reason I am REALLY thankful:
    Family and time together – life

Antibiotics.