Nov

9-letter Words

John Amato covers this appearance by Ben Stein on Fox News, pointing to Stein’s remarks on the so-called fiscal cliff. The former Nixon speechwriter told Greg Gutfeld we need to raise taxes.

Stein: Taxes will go up on really rich people really a lot and we need it; we need more revenue.

Gutfeld: Alright, boo on you, Ben. I disagree with everything you said, but you’re both an actor and an economist. I kinda understand why you wanna raise taxes. It’s about getting invited to more cocktail parties

Without actors yelling at you.

Stein: Not at all, I don’t get invited to any parties and I don’t drink, but look, the whole idea for being a Republican is for fiscal sensibility and fiscal sensibility says we cannot run 16 trillion debt. We can’t have it up to 20 trillion. We cannot leave our grandchildren a defaulted, bankrupt America.

But I want to comment on how Gutfeld reacts to a call for higher taxes, even from a conservative: by calling him a communist (and only half-joking). Communist, socialist, applied specifically to Barack Obama they stand in for the N-word. For a more generic liberal (Obama included), they are simply four-letter slurs with nine letters, and they can use them on television. How very clever. How tricksy. The slurs sound meaningful yet mean nothing. They cannot define them when pressed:

YouTube Preview Image

I had this same conversation with a woman at the Mountain State Fair in September — with the same evasions, almost word for word.

Categories : Republicans

Comments

1. I’d like to know why you consider being called a communist or a socialist is a slur, sir.

She thinks it is.

3. Andrew Dahm says:

Ideology without ideas. Nifty.

I’m a pragmatist.

4. Tom Buckner says:

Here’s nine more letters:

Idiocracy

5. Tom Buckner says:

Read this, went over to Reddit, read Paul Krugman’s essay A Public Service Reminder: Paul Ryan is a Con Man, wrote a longer comment, and am now crossposting it here.
    ————-

Whenever I go into a rap about the dangers of mistaking the label for the thing itself, people’s eyes seem to glaze over. Welp, quixotic that I am, I’ll piss away another few lines of phantom internet ink:
    Labels are creations of the human mind. They are a convenience. They help our brains to organize the whirl and glimmer of reality.

The map is not the territory.

Politics is one of the very worst areas of label-misuse and abuse. Apply a label to someone and you never have to listen to a word he says with any rational attention. Ad hominem arguments are a blatant form of label abuse, but milder forms of label abuse permeate the political ether and cloud our eyes.
    What is a Liberal? What is a Centrist? What is a Conservative? If you just got here from Mars you would need time to find out. The dictionary would only give you some general and generally confusing pointers, often wildly contradicted by the actual people and policies themselves. How can someone call himself a Conservative if he espouses wildly radical notions that would create a world our ancestors could not imagine? How can someone else call herself a Liberal if she supports the Drug War? How can someone call himself a Centrist if he thinks anyone to the left of Jimmy Carter is Far Left, yet thinks Paul Ryan is anything other than Far Right?

Long, long, long, boring-ass books have been written about what Communism is and what its ideas, goals and methods are. But here’s a woman who repeatedly calls Obama a Communist when she probably hasn’t ever read a book longer than “Pimpin’ Ain’t Easy, Charlie Brown”.

She doesn’t need to think. The label is doing it for her.

If a politician keeps calling for small government but wishes to keep expanding the military, the police apparatus, the prisons, and such, then he’s not really a ‘small-government’ politician at all; he just has different ideas about what a big government would do.
    If a pol keeps talking about working for regular taxpayers and small businesses, but everything he does is in service of big business, which counts more? What he calls himself, or how he acts?
    Paul Ryan calls himself a responsible economic policy expert, but… does he act like one?
    To get behind and beyond thinking in labels, don’t ask yourself what something or someone “is.” Look instead at what they do. How do they behave, under what circumstances, etc.

For in reality a thing is not its label. A thing is, in a very real sense, not even a thing. A thing is what it does. To see this is to gain clarity.

6. Dixiegirlz says:

“Tricksy”………I like that word.

7. “She thinks it is.”

Apparently, so do a lot of people. After all, a lot of “liberals” bend over backwards to distance themselves from these terms.

It’s different to want to distance yourself from actual Communists by name (I mean, I can only think of one person who seems to like Stalin and I think he’s just yanking everyone’s chain).

But for people to run screaming from these words instead of challenging the morons who use them as insults is ridiculous. It would serve the entire country better to educate people on what these things mean rather than just continue to let them think they’re winning because people duck and run from it.

Your cries of “racist” and the other tribe’s cries of “socialist” sound very much the same to me. Both reveal a depressing lack of thought.

One could argue that this statement reveals the same.

9. dasdrew says:

Who’s Greg Gutfeld?

Oh, no. Not even people who actually use the N-word are racists any more. Haven’t you heard?

So apparently my post last night about Obama got onto Twitter and Fox 40 came and interviewed me cause apparently a lot of people in Sacramento think I’m crazy and racist. WOW is all I got to say!! I’m not racist and I’m not crazy. just simply stating my opinion.!!!”

It’s like Eliza Doolittle using phrases like “done her in” for killed and “pinched” for stole. Freddy Eynsford-Hill would find “the new small talk” trendy.

To whoever it is that keeps licking the red off of Sue’s candy, please stop.

Thank you.