Oct

Asheville City Council Agenda 10.9.12

Your Asheville City Council will convene on October 9th to deliberate and make decisions about the future of the city we love. Head into ReadMoreLand to see the agenda, or click here to see it with all supporting documentation at the City’s website.

The big to-do in this week’s agenda is a proposed Business Improvement District for downtown. Mountain Xpress has an article on it at their website. I’m still trying to figure out how to come down on this issue, so your input is much appreciated. There are lots of things to like about the proposal, and there are lots of things I feel uncertain about. Chime in. Preferably before the meeting!

There’s an economic development incentive grant to Plasticard that will certainly interest some of you, too.

Thanks for being citizens who are involved and willing to engage your representatives.

Pledge of Allegiance

Invocation to be given by Mayor Bellamy.

I. PROCLAMATIONS:

II. CONSENT AGENDA:

A. Approval of the minutes of the regular meeting held on September 25, 2012; and the special meeting held on October 2, 2012.

B. Ordinance amending the franchise agreement with the Education Research Consortium to provide a mechanism for the City’s public safety fiber optic capacity and maintenance to be restored.

C. Resolution approving the N.C. Dept. of Cultural Resource’s updated Municipal Records Retention and Disposition schedule issued September 10, 2012.

D. Budget amendment, in the amount of $44,900, to authorize the use of North Carolina State Drug Seizure Funds to fund the purchase of Emergency Response Team ballistic vests.

E. Resolution adopting changes to the City of Asheville’s financial policy to include an Audit Procurement Policy.

III. PRESENTATIONS AND REPORTS:

A. Buncombe County Tax Collector

B. Board of Adjustment Update

C. Citizens-Police Advisory Committee Update

D. Water Resources Update

IV. PUBLIC HEARINGS:

A.1. Public hearing to consider an economic development incentive grant for Plasticard-Locktech International expansion.

2. Budget amendment, in the amount of $13,400, from property tax revenue, to budget the first year economic development payment.

B. Public hearing to consider an amendment to the Biltmore Park Town Center sign package. Documents

C. Continuation of public hearing to consider a Municipal Service District for downtown Asheville (Business Improvement District).

V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

VI. NEW BUSINESS:

A. Boards & Commissions (Counto to determine who, if any, to interview):
- Homeless Initiative Advisory Committee

VII. INFORMAL DISCUSSION AND PUBLIC COMMENT:

Comments

1. Ascend of Asheville says:

I’m sorry if this is dumb, but I thought Biltmore Park seceded from the union last year. So why is the city council supposed to give blessing to their fetish about signage?

2. Ascend of Asheville says:

Economic incentives are looking more and more like protection money, or kick backs or bribes every day. Not just here, everywhere. Where does it stop?

I plan to blow off my driveway and put up a new mailbox this weekend. Can I get an incentive grant to do that?

3. Andrew Dahm says:

Remember to do nothing when you don’t know what to do.

Gordon,
    I recall most hotels in the CBD were adamantly against BID. Besides a heavier tax burden what else were their concerns? Also how do the small Mom & Pops feel?

Davyne,

There are folks on both sides of this issue. Big business, small business, hoteliers, residents, visitors, etc.

I know that, but what are the most valid concerns/perks on a pro vs. con scale?

Davyne,

I’m afraid I don’t have time to consolidate all the information for you. I’d suggest reading the staff report and the associated press articles.

8. Jon King says:

I remain against it.

There is nothing stopping like-minded downtown business owners from pooling funds to clean the city. However, they recognize that this will not succeed unless everyone pitches in funds.

They desire enforced collective responsibility (taxes) for everyone in the BID, but they don’t want to relinquish control of those taxes to the established, elected entity that handles collective action (ie. City government)

Were I member of City Council, I would view this proposal as a vote of no-confidence from downtown business owners, and vote no accordingly.

I believe that City Council can vote to implement a special tax zone, with those monies earmarked for public works in that district. I’ll stand by the letter that I wrote to the MX earlier this year: a BID is redundant.

9. Here’s to DEVO! Nerd prophets.

10. SWNC says:

As an Asheville city resident, I don’t like the BID proposal, even with the revisions.

If downtown business owners want to voluntarily combine resources to more effectively pay for services above and beyond what the city already provides, that’s great. But I am opposed to using city and county funds to pay for those extra services. If my house gets vandalized, that stinks, but I don’t expect the city to pay for the clean-up. And if they are using public money, there needs to be public oversight of how it is spent, rather than handing gobs of public money to an unelected board that is accountable to no one.