Sep

Whilden & Moffitt – Closing Statements

Jane Whilden and her opponent, Tim Moffitt, were part of a jam-packed Chamber of Commerce candidate forum at which 14 candidates for various office appeared. Mtn. X released this video of the closing statements from Ms. Whilden and Mr. Moffitt. Click here to see the accompanying article and a host of other videos. Really. Do it!

One interesting note about Rep. Moffitt’s comments about local control – They’re inaccurate. City-County relations are the best they’ve been in memory, and everyone in those bodies agrees that Asheville has been an excellent steward of the water resource. Rep. Moffitt is the one putting constituencies in opposition to one another. There was no conflict over the current management of the water resource. Reinterpreting reality is his right, but the facts don’t change based on his words.

Comments

Where would be a good place to paste a link to a video of the water meeting? Clear information that Asheville is not the only target for water takeover, being told that no matter what hoops council jumps through, the intent is still to seize the water, and, the absence of King Moffitt to address his “subjects,” after rescheduling 3(?) times already to try and accommodate him.

Still have not figured it out, so I will ask computer geek friends if they can help.

I’ll show one person at a time if I must. I”m surprised more people are not talking about Asheville not being the only target, or, the futility of council’s good faith efforts.

3. Doug Gibson says:

TJ,

Keep trying. Believe me, people will talk about it if you can get that video out there.

4. Joe Minicozzi says:

I’d be curious to see the video as well. I hear that its mentioned on video that H’ville’s water is getting thrown in as well. If true, I wonder why that hasn’t made it to a higher level of discussion and wasn’t part of the conversation during the public meetings at the Ag Center. Is there a way to get the video on here? I missed the meeting, but would love an opportunity to see the video to see what was discussed.

It is on my iPhone, still. Have iPhone, will travel.

I have a friend whom writes for a Hendersonville news group. She will be calling me, in a few days, to set up a time to meet. She wants to write about it, but, is not sure they will publish it. Apparently AC-T and MTN Xpress have chosen not to offer information they had access to.

I can’t figure out how to get the video uploaded, and, apparently, others have had problems with Ustream. If anyone wants to help upload it, that would be great. I tried YouTube(where I would REALLY like to have it), but, one….it only allows 15 min segs, and this is 61:07. I want the whole thing included, so no one can accuse me of taking something out of context. I also want to keep a back-up copy, so, it won’t get “lost” or “damaged,” by accident, of course.

I did not realize it, but, have to wonder why City of Asheville did not videotape the meeting, just as they do other council meetings? (especially, when elected officials are there, or, not)

Anyway, still working on it. I will meet with my friend, and, anyone is welcome to meet me for coffee(or, whatever), and can view it on my iPhone, until I can get this worked out.

If any of the Hooligans are more techno savvy, and, want to put a link to it here, I’ll be glad to get it to someone.

6. Dixiegirlz says:

There was a guy there videotaping. I suspect he was with the City. Somebody contact Maggie Burleson on this. Maggie was handling the sound mixer, and the video guy had a big professional camera. He didn’t have anything designating or identifying him with a local news organization, that’s why I think he was with the City.

I’ll go by and check Monday. Thanks, Davyne.

8. Pete Kaliner says:

Davyne,
    I think that guy was with WLOS. Are you talking about the photographer in the back right side of the room with tripod and large camera?
    I thought at the time that he was WLOS, but I’m not sure. When I went over to take a picture from behind him, I seem to recall seeing some identiying logo. But, like I said, I can’t say with certainty.

One of the reasons cited for the water merger was a more-regional, de-politicized approach to resource management (not debating if you believe that’s the real reason, of course – just noting that this was cited as a major reason).
    I heard the discussion about the potential merging of other systems, too, but McGrady indicated he would not be the one to push for that, either.

He DID say a bill would be brought forward, that he would not be the one to lead it.

He left the vague hint that Moffitt would (since he is one of the key players), and, he did NOT say he would oppose it on any level.

Got another idea for the video, and still working on it.

Pete you may be correct. But I’m sure Maggie took notes (if nothing else) and those would be available. Especially on the point of the possibility of other systems being next.

I was at the Ag Center forum where the Mayor of Hendersonville spoke emphatically about not wanting to be involved in this “idea.”
    I have that on video if anyone wants to view.

While I have many unanswered questions regarding the history of the management of our water system..I’d hate to see the community be subjected to a “hostile takeover” on account of past political bad blood.

An agreement by all concerned that would best benefit us all seems logical to me, without having a forced agreement shoved down the community’s throats.

I would like to see that video, Davyne.

Still working on the video I took. I feel like the Energizer bunny commercial:

Still going…

Hendersonville Mayor begins at 6:20…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJYt4K9NBI

Sorry the audio is subpar….when we ask for adjustment they wouldn’t comply. (Imagine that.)

13. Michelle A. Mead-Armor says:

Daniel Patrick Moynihan – “You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”