Aug

“The truest news story you have ever seen.”

How YouTube describes it: “For a fictional show (based on actual events), this is the truest news story you have ever seen.”

YouTube Preview Image

Plenty more here.

Comments

1. Tim Peck says:

Nice patchwork propagandist diversion from the fact that there are no load-bearing walls in the Democrat house of cards.

Why, what could be “truer” than a thoroughly dishonest fictional TV show that does not have to face the devastating hammer of rebuttal from the world of reality?

Libertarian Roots of the Tea Party
    …………………………

2. Fake libertarians are fake.

Voter ID is antithetical to democracy. It’s nice that the show’s writers will tell the truth about the invented “voter fraud” canard. Anyone legislator who supports the disenfranchisement of the electorate deserves a ticket home.

Ratings for this show were strong enough for it to be renewed for another season, so I guess the market is deciding.

5. tim says:

“…Democrat house of cards…”

No wonder you are under the impression that Rand was a good writer–You don’t even know the difference between a noun and an adjective!

6. ChadEkre says:

Tim Peck, could you support the statement that claims the clip is from a “thoroughly dishonest fictional TV show,” pls? Every person, including Dorothy Cooper, is real. The quotes from the politicians are real. The show is fiction, but fiction based on reality. Where is the dishonesty, again?

To me, your entire post resembles a “[n]ice patchwork propagandist diversion” from a “thoroughly dishonest fictional” internet libertarian “that does not have to face the devastating hammer of rebuttal from the world of reality,” because you seem impervious to ideas/observations that run counter your political motivations.

If Republicans win in November, a voter ID bill will be on the way, Tillis says
    Submitted by robchristensen on 2012-08-28 14:28

TAMPA, Fla. — If things go well for Republicans this fall, a voter ID bill will likely become law next year, House Speaker Thom Tillis told the North Carolina delegation to the Republican national convention.

The Republican-controlled legislature passed a voter ID bill last year, but it was vetoed by Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue. But Tillis said if Republican Pat McCrory is elected governor and the GOP has 72 votes in the House, “we will have voter ID in North Carolina.”

8. tim says:

Let’s all call him Tim Peckerhead until he stops referring to the “democrat” party.

Immature name calling should work both ways.

Ohio’s Husted fires Democratic election board members

And what is it, exactly, that Ritchie and Lieberman did to earn Husted’s wrath. The Democratic officials committed the crime of voting to expand voting hours in their county.

[...]

Remember, voting in Montgomery County, Ohio, went very smoothly four years ago, with local officials running a relatively hassle free, trouble free election. Democrats and Republicans on the local board of elections expanded early voting opportunities, and turnout went up considerably.

The problem — if you want to call it that — is that President Obama won in Montgomery County and in Ohio statewide, leading Buckeye State Republicans to start changing the rules, making it harder for voters to participate in their own democracy.

DC Judges Reject Texas Redistricting Maps

A panel of federal judges in Washington rejected Texas’s proposed redistricting plans, finding that they didn’t comply with the Voting Rights Act.

In crafting the congressional redistricting map, for instance, the state legislature ”removed the economic guts from the Black ability districts,” the judges found. The panel said it was “persuaded by the totality of the evidence that the plan was enacted with discriminatory intent.”

The panel included Judge Thomas Griffith and Judge Rosemary M. Collyer, both appointees of President George W. Bush, and Judge Beryl A. Howell, an Obama appointee.

11. Derp. The timeline for the show says August 2011 but McAvoy says the election is “this November”.

Yes. I do think that is a mistake worth pointing out.

People get paid a lot of money not to make these mistakes.

from Lincoln’s “house divided” speech:

We cannot absolutely know that all these exact adaptations are the result of preconcert. But when we see a lot of framed timbers, different portions of which we know have been gotten out at different times and places and by different workmen … and we see these timbers joined together, and see they exactly make the frame of a house or a mill, all the tenons and mortieses exactly fitting, and all the lengths and proportions of the different pieces exactly adapted to their respective places, and not a piece too many or too few-not omitting even scaffolding-or, if a single piece be lacking, we see the place in the frame exactly fitted and prepared to yet bring such piece in-in such a case, we find it impossible not to believe that … all understood one another from the beginning, and all worked upon a common plan or draft drawn up before the first lick was struck.

Lincoln made his point much more delicately than I would.

13. Aaron Sarver says:

The load-bearing walls of the Democratic party include Social Security and Medicare.

Paul Ryan’s budget plan transforms Medicare into a voucher program and his plan to gut, I mean reform, Social Security was so radical even George W. Bush wouldn’t touch it.

President Obama’s policies have strengthened Medicare – http://www.barackobama.com/truth-team/entry/how-obamacare-strengthens-medicare-advantage/

14. trifecta says:

Ayn Rand is a rhetorician who writes novels I have never been able to read. She has just published a book, For the New Intellectual, subtitled The Philosophy of Ayn Rand; it is a collection of pensées and arias from her novels and it must be read to be believed.

“It was the morality of altruism that undercut American and is now destroying her.”

“To love money is to know and love the fact that money is the creation of the best power within you, and your passkey to trade your effort for the effort of the best among men.”

“The creed of sacrifice is a morality for the immoral”

This odd little woman is attempting to give a moral sanction to greed and self interest, and to pull it off she must at times indulge in purest Orwellian newspeak of the “freedom is slavery” sort. What interests me most about her is not the absurdity of her “philosophy,” but the size of her audience (in my campaign for the House she was the one writer people knew and talked about). She has a great attraction for simple people who are puzzled by organized society, who object to paying taxes, who dislike the “welfare” state, who feel guilt at the thought of the suffering of others but who would like to harden their hearts. For them, she has an enticing prescription: altruism is the root of all evil, self-interest is the only good, and if you’re dumb or incompetent that’s your lookout.

From an essay by Gore Vidal in 1961.

I don’t know the source of this and it has been around a while, but it is always worth revisiting:

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”

17. ChadEkre says:

DD

It was incorporated as the 2nd govt on the “Lord of the Flies” island.

Just being snarky. Honestly I don’t know, but I seriously doubt it. I’d like to know too.

“I’m curious if “Randism” or it’s equivalent has ever been adopted as a form of Government. Anybody know?”

Somalia.

19. Andrew Dahm says:

Charles Dickens and, as mentioned, William Golding. Orwell’s essay about the works of Dickens would come in good right around there.

I think the psychology of Rand’s universe rounds out the psyches of those who’ve been convinced they’ve done something wrong and are paying their penance, whether the convincing is done by family of origin, peer group, whatevs. “See! You screwed up! Now you have to pay! Like I did!”

Dickens’ “good guys” live in a Randian world, where any mistake – including coming out of the wrong birth canal – promises a lifetime of trouble, unless some “unhealthy” altruist comes to their aid.

20. Jason Bugg says:

I imagine getting beaten by cops would make someone bitter and anti-government. Right, Timmy?

Hey, Admin. That comment by Bugg is really nasty. It’s not ok to taunt someone about a trauma in his life.

22. Jason Bugg says:

I’m not taunting anyone. People have asked on this blog whyis Tim such a bitter jerk, I’m just providing a theory.

If I were taunting him it’d sound like “Nyah nyah, I think it’s funny that you were beaten”. I don’t think it’s funny. I think that it’s sad and if it happened to me I’d be pretty upset about it. I hope that I wouldn’t give into bitterness the way that Tim has, but I’m not sure. I’ve never had anything like that to test my mettle.

I think that it’s a valid question to ask of Tim – a chicken/egg thing – was he this anti-government before the beating? Was he so suspect of people in power that he wanted to burn the entire building down before those in power failed him? Did his philosophy come before the trauma or after it? Tim’s a public figure (he’s ran for office) and I think that question is fair and perfectly okay to ask. I’m not asking about anything spurious and off the record.

I’m for greater understanding Gordo, I just want to know if Tim hated the system before it displayed a great deal of hatred for him on that awful day.

Texas voter ID law is blocked

A federal court on Thursday blocked a controversial new voter ID law in Texas, ruling that the state failed to show that the law would not harm the voting rights of minorities.

The three-judge panel in the historic case said that evidence also showed that costs of obtaining a voter ID would fall most heavily on poor African Americans and Hispanics in Texas.

Evidence submitted by Texas to prove that its law did not discriminate was “unpersuasive, invalid, or both,” wrote David. S. Tatel, a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, in the panel’s 56-page opinion.

Ruling (courtesy of the Brad Blog) here.

24. Kimboronni says:

Can’t believe I’m posting about a tv show…. actually, yes I can!

So, as awesome as it is, I don’t know how I feel about putting up part of a final episode of a show without noting a “Spoiler Alert!”

And if you think this episode starts off right, you should watch the whole series. It’s quiet a piece of work, and I’m lovin’ it.

Real life is even more crazy. Let’s press pause on the name calling and get to work making our own, more interesting news, ya’ll!