Aug

1,000,021 a.k.a. Saturday Open Thread

Well none of us were really paying attention, and we missed ScruHoo’s millionth hit altogether.

Best I could do was this screen capture of hit number 1,000,021. So the person who came here 21 people before this joker wins the prize.

Actually there’s no prize. All in all the whole thing is as anticlimactic as things come.

A million came here before you. Use this thread to tell them about the future.

Comments

1. Ascend of Asheville says:

Congratulations to all the Hooligans who have stuck with it all these years. It is an impressive run for an online presence to last this long and still be relevant and fun.

As for the future, who can tell? Everything seems to be changing so fast, yet I sit on my porch now and see a wholeness and completeness that speaks of the eons it took to create this moment in time. We all hope for some permanence to our works, and I guess the same is true for cyberspace. I hope we are contributing to something good.

Yep, I don’t know where I was going with that. I need some tea and breakfast.

2. Bridget says:

Congratulations guys! I appreciate that one of the best blogs in my reader is also local.
    Since this is an open thread I thought I would point you today’s Best Thing Ever , actually published Thursday.
    Cheers!

3. Tim Peck says:

The referendum option is a gift given by the General Assembly to NC municipalities that modifies the Dillon Rule to allow cities to govern themselves somewhat more autonomously. If the City of Asheville insists on abusing that gift, the General Assembly can very well take it away.

Will they take it away from all municipalities or narrowly craft a definition to only include Asheville? Who knows. The best case would be to only deny Asheville. A statewide reversal would bode ill for this unruly “creature of the legislature.”

And that’s how local government works.
    ……………………………………………

So that’s where King Moffitt is headed next. Thanks for the heads-up, Tim.

5. Moderator alert: Mr. Peck is wildly off topic here.

6. trifecta says:

I wonder why a “libertarian” is parroting GOP talking points lately.

“Will they take it away from all municipalities or narrowly craft a definition to only include Asheville? Who knows.”

So, I guess we should all just sit and stay and hope Moffitt’s dog treat is not a chocolate Hershey kiss.

8. Andrew Dahm says:

Is accusing Tim Peck of uttering threats an ad hominem attack? And are all libertarians such power-worshipping butt-kissers? And is that an ad hominem attack?

Tim Peck wants people to get mad enough at Tim Moffitt to advocate for Home Rule, which is his true position. He’s advocated it for years, and it’s a reasonable discussion to have given the recent abuses of power demonstrated by 1/3 of our Buncombe County House members. His current approach, however, leads one to wonder if he’s considered the ramifications of the threat. If Rep. Moffitt’s surrogates can threaten the dissolution of Asheville today, don’t imagine that it won’t be a merger of Buncombe and Henderson counties tomorrow.

10. Doug Gibson says:

No, no, no. I just commented on the water issue, and that’s not what this thread is about. Thanks to the “edit” function I can say: here’s to the next million visitors!

“Congratulations to all the Hooligans who have stuck with it all these years.”

It’s a tough job, but somebody’s gotta do it.

When I heard from Marc H. that Raleigh can come in and do whatever, they want, I was astounded. I don’t know much about politics. I DO know that we have Constitutional rights as US citizens. Yet, each state can do whatever they want, regardless of what we want or need?

I thought we left England to escape tyranny. Maybe we do need another revolution.

This kind of mentality baffles me. I once asked someone once how I can live gently in a violent world.

I’m still trying to figure this out.

I DO know I won’t give up. And, I won’t give in.

Even another million commenters from now 😉

The future?

Here’s where I get all quantum ;-). Never ask me that kind of question…

Our past is said to shape today. QP says that the future also determines what happens today. If today shaped our past, then, it seems we should be able to figure out how to make those changes that the future will bring.

Regardless, I think it’s obvious to all that the “now” is not what we need or want.

Let’s figure this out, so the millionth person coming around next can see what we did now, and, we can feel proud of it. 😎

14. The Constitution is clever, TJ, but it is only the tip of the byzantine iceberg of political organization.

15. I tried to figure out whether I’ve drank a million beers yet. I ran some numbers and found out that I won’t even achieve a small fraction of that in my entire lifetime. So when you casually say “oh, I’ve done that a million times” it is most likely that you haven’t. Congratulations Hooligans!

Mat:
    Some folks put the Bible in the same category of fairy tales.

I’m starting to wonder if the same can be said about the Constitution.

This guy needs to publish his findings in JAMA:

Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Is that like if the guy pulls out soon enough, you don’t have to worry about pregnancy?

Wow!!

And this guy represents a whole state of women??

Scary.

“This guy needs to publish his findings in JAMA:”

Nah, he needs an anal ultrasound probe. By somebody who knows how.

😉

Who do you have in mind, Davyne?

Oh anyone whose ever been “legitimately raped” …whatever that means.

There could be a wait list for that.

BTW, I found Atlas Shrugged on Netflix.

Should I watch it? Y’all regularly refer to it, but, I don’t usually expose myself to unecessary “stuff.”

Did I mention that Congressman Todd Akin is an awful human being?

And Todd Akin is being Tweeted:

Legitimate Rape should not be confused with Asking For It Rape and Had It Coming Rape. Consult a misogynist for details.