Jul

Friday Open Thread

Open for business.

Categories : Open Thread

Comments

Neither Mitt Romney nor Pat McCrory is willing to release their tax returns. I had to show more years of tax returns to purchase my home than either of these guys is producing to pursue executive elected office.

I want to know what they’re hiding. It’s worrisome.

“I want to know what they’re hiding. It’s worrisome”

Yup, considering they want to represent the “public,” yet, are not willing to be OPEN to the public? I mean, it’s not like we’re asking for the tax records of any mistresses they may have. Or, maybe, that is the kind of thing they are hiding. That’s stupid, of course. Anyone can do whatever, with anyone, and never get asked to leave office.

I think we’d have a better response if the gov’t demanded the Cayman Islands turn over THEIR records.

Asking the rich to follow the same rules as everyone else is unamerican. They are not like us, they are better, just ask Ann Romney.

4. Ascend of Asheville says:

You people have a lot of damned nerve.

“You people have a lot of damned nerve.”

Well, that’s what happens when a bunch of dirty, homeless hippies corrupt your idealism.

“Only the little people pay taxes.” — Leona Helmsly

7. Banks caught in the LIBOR scandal may be seeking to pay their way out instead of facing charges and regulation?

8. Aaron Sarver says:

I didn’t know Romney scrubbed all his emails as Governor of Mass. – http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/what-is-mitt-romney-hiding

Maybe Romney will pick McCrory as his VP. They seem to share a lot of the same values re: transparency.

9. Ascend of Asheville says:

We should have a contest for all the things LIBOR could stand for.

“Like, I back over-regulation.”

“Lube it, brother, or regret.”

“Little investors benefit organized robbery”

“Large Investors Belong On Riker’s”

Etc.

Lordy, izzit banking or robbery?

11. Ascend of Asheville says:

You know what gets me? The webs this afternoon are just FULL of people saying how they’d have plugged the sonofabitch if they’d been in the theater with this whacko when he started shooting. In the dark, crowded, panicked, gas infused, noisy theater. At a guy in full body armor.

Ok Rambo Nation, y’all go ahead and think that.

Nobody could have seen that coming. Pay the slap-on-the-wrist fine, indemnity from other lawsuits, and then it’s back to business as usual. Oh yeah, we did that with Wall Street bankers.

Ahhhh…. My iron lung is working again.

Sorry for that interruption in ScruHoo service, folks. We were snacking while doing repairs in zero-G, and the … uh … reel-to-reel machine got gummed up with peanut butter and crackers.

14. Dixiegirlz says:

Little
    Interest
    But
    Odious
    Reality

15. Ascend of Asheville says:

Literally incestuous brotherhood of Recidivists.

16. Ascend of Asheville says:

Learned it by observing Romney

17. Dixiegirlz says:

Ascend….I luv all of yours!

18. Ascend of Asheville says:

What’s that you say? The Secretary of the Treasury did not file tax returns? When? And he didn’t raise a cry when he discovered the LIBOR manipulation, in 2008, thereby becoming the Joe Paterno of International finance?
    I wonder why this guy keeps being so circumstantially close to the most heinous financial misdeeds of our time? Hmmm. It does give one pause.

19. mcates says:

Gordon,

What was it like growing up with a grandfather that owned an Orange Grove in Florida? That’s accurate, right?

Are you releasing your tax returns anytime soon?

20. Gordon’s running for President?

Wow.

(false equivalency is false)

21. Dixiegirlz says:

Lucre
    Illgotten
    Bankers
    Oversee
    Ruination

Tom wins the Internet! I can’t stop watching that cat…

Mark,

Thank you for your interest in my family history. It’s great that you’ve found time to talk with someone who knows a little about me. It’s flattering!

Yes – My grandfather purchased about ten acres of land back in his twenties, and he worked that land up until just a few years ago. He’s 91 years old now and caring for my grandmother, who was a librarian at the local high school. They’ve been married 69 years and live in that same house next to the grove.

On my father’s side of the family, my grandfather was, among other things, a feed salesman. He was from central Ohio, where my father was born. Quaker country. He died when I was a teenager. My grandmother is 95 years old and living in one of the buildings that my father manages for Presbyterian Homes and Housing.

I can go further back if that interests you, or I could tell you about my wife’s family. It’s all very interesting!

As to the tax records – were I running to be the Executive Officer of North Carolina or the United States of America, there would be no question that it’s fundamental to earn the public trust via full disclosure. If you want to have a discussion about the appropriate level of disclosure for City Council candidates, please share your views on the matter. I’m interested in learning more.

24. Dixiegirlz says:

Gordon…interesting to read that you come from intrepid pioneer stock. Early Florida was especially brutal and challenging. Have you read “A Land Remembered” ? If not, it will give you an even deeper appreciation of what it was like back in the pioneering days. 10 acres of Florida land would have been a real bitch to clear using a handsaw and com-along..

I haven’t, Davyne. Thanks for the recommendation.

26. D.Dial says:

It’s an excellent historical book of the settling of Florida. You think times are tough now!

I feel I’ve learned a lot about you Gordon, I think we all have. This has been a real growth moment, thanks Catesy!

Lying Insiders
    Bailed
    Out
    Regularly

Ha! Finally some creative thinking on how to get back at the banker/shysters.
    ~~ Mat Taibbi

From an Unlikely Source, a Serious Challenge to Wall Street
    POSTED
    July 20, 1:06 PM ET

John Cole:

It occurred to me tonight that we live in a country where the Supreme Court has decided the 1st amendment does not give you the right to yell “fire” in a crowded movie theatre, but the 2nd Amendment gives you an unfettered right to amass enough guns to shoot 71 people in the same theatre.

No wonder Europeans think Americans are fucking stupid.