Jul

Endorsin’

Neither of the Democratic Congressional candidates in NC-11 and NC-10 will endorse President Obama. I’m not sure if GOP contenders Mark Meadows, Vance Patterson, or incumbent Patrick McHenry have endorsed Mitt Romney. Meadows reminds me of Romney.

I know that Larry Kissell and Mike McIntyre, two Congressional Dems from further east aren’t planning on endorsing Obama either. The new GOP-drawn districts have created very difficult contests for Rogers, Kissell, and McIntyre, and they’re sticking to their own issues rather than trying to also advocate for the President.

Anyway, there are heads a’sploding across WNC as Dems work to build a united juggernaut that can approach the successes of 2008. What do you think of these developments, especially as they relate to the electorates of the various districts?

Comments

1. Um, well, if the Democrats are running the most conservative people they can find just so they can claim a majority of Congress even though they aren’t going to have the support of those votes, then I’d say it’s pretty much useless all the way around.

But that’s just me. A completely impractical person with no real grasp of politics or how it works.

2. designation says:

I hope no Democrats endorse Obama, and all Democrats start the slow process of taking back the party from Third Way neoliberals that turned the party of FDR into something to the right of Reagan.

3. Unaffiliated is the most hilarious name you could possibly have chosen.

4. Ascend of Asheville says:

@Unaffiliated:

The Party of FDR created what is widely held to be the golden age of American economic prosperity, growth and equality.

I assume you vote for Republicans. Correct me if I’m wrong. If power mongering and big government spending are particular issues for you, I would suggest you do some further research before casting your next vote.

I would also like to suggest that you look further into the size of these so-called entitlement programs as relates to the overall budget in this country and also look at where the money is going. The majority of what you refer to goes to “red” states, and provides assistance for poor white people who almost universally vote for Conservatives.

In fact, if the Democrats had “winning” ahead of “functioning” to the same degree the Republicans do, they would immediately cease all forms of public assistance, and reap the electoral rewards when the population of dumbshit rednecks out in the hinterlands decreases.

Because really, when you look at it in the cold light of pure cost/benefit analysis, it’s the Republican Party that will be losing its base. The liberal elites will be fine. The Hollywood sin mafia will be fine. And the large numbers of Hispanic and Black people who generally vote for Democrats have had the decks all stacked against them long enough that they have developed coping mechanisms well advanced over your average fat fuck American redneck Walmart shopper sitting around complaining about immigrants, spitting tobacco juice and waiting for his next disability check, due to that permanent “back injury” he got falling out of a tree-stand while trying to kill Bambi.

The fact of the matter is that the label of “entitlement” is thrown over an awfully large pile of programs, very little of it going to fund your dreaded welfare queens and free-loaders. Those characters are as prominent in American legend as the vote frauders, and just as real.

Ronald Reagan pretty much invented the “welfare queen” out of thin air, but it was a great, if racist, story and it stuck. It has been a rallying cry for Conservatives ever since. Kudos to the Gipper for that, but eventually we need to adopt a bit more realistic view of our politics and leaders and see that this is not really a sport, but an essential functioning of any society, and worthy of more than just name calling and myth building.

I do not begrudge you a different view than mine, and I won’t try to tell you you’re wrong- okay, that part is bullshit, I’ll try to tell you you’re wrong all day, but at least take a look at the rhetoric of your team, and realize that there is a very large disconnect between what they say they do and what actually takes place under their leadership, as in the case of “limited government” and “reduced spending”.

That freedom from burden you seek is not forthcoming from either Party.

5. Unaffiliated, you have never said a kind word about any Democrat and are suspiciously silent about the GOP.

If that isn’t some partisan chicanery, I don’t know what is. You are now, and have been for years, one of the most boring and tiresome trolls I have ever seen.

And I have been online since 1996. I’ve seen some trolls.

6. Dixiegirlz says:

I call UnAffiliated a “hit and run” troll. At least Travelah (MtnXp) would stick around for some pithy banter. Trav trolled like a pro.

7. I’m kind of worry about him. Haven’t seen him anywhere for months.

Well, OK, not *worried* exactly….

I suspect he gave up on leading us heathens out of the bondage of our evil ways.

“Unaffiliated is the most hilarious name you could possibly have chosen.”

The paradox/irony is apparently blatently overlooked, or, is just blind to it. Similar to how Republicans are blind to their own rhetorical conversations, that lead to dismal future of their constituants, as they seek to diminish the value of anyone who disagrees with them.

But, it’s “for our own good,” right?

Like I said a few days back I used to think UN Affiliated was a troll but now I think /she is actually some sort of satirical performance artist. S/he should seriously consider doing live shows of this routine. It’s hilarious.

And LOOK! It’s Open Mic Night at Fraud? You Damn Betcha!.

Okay, so this is REALLY off-topic here. Really sorry, but, I want to see what anyone thinks/knows. Since more of you guys are here, here it is ;-):

I originally put it under “You Thought You Had It Bad” post, because of the title:

Another victim of the “progress” we see in Asheville?

Quote from Steve:

“The Asheville citizen Times today reported that Trader Joes is opening a store on Merrimon north of Green Life, and that it will displace at least one or more local businesses. La Carreta at 100 Merrimon will be gone, NY Fashion may also be eliminated.

It is clear that local economies, businesses, workers, and families are often hurt badly when bog box stores move into a town. Asheville has already experienced a lot of this. It is time we fought back and let Trader Joe’s know that they are not welcome if they displace local businesses.”

13. Roger Hartley says:

I think there are a lot of ways to win a district and appeal to voters but it is puzzling and a mistake to try to appeal by running away from the President…and in a battleground state. As my very wise colleague, Chris Cooper said, it can turn off your base. And is not endorsing or pretending not to endorse going to really attract voters or look like a stupid stunt. I think the latter. Patsy has shown she can win when she is who she is. And while I don’t love everything the President has done, healthcare, his stances on lgbt rights, immigration, and more deserve a little courage. Slow to the punch, yeah, but he threw it on all three.

14. Michael Muller says:

The bondage of our evil ways, Davyne?

Oh my.

What’s up, Michael? Did your brain go on the frits from the info overload? All I have seen lately from you is “oh my.” Is your mother watching? 😉

“And I have been online since 1996. I’ve seen some trolls”

Do you have pics? Or, is this an Area 51 kinda thing?

Am I one? I don’t think so, but, I don’t think I visit the right places to have a good role model to look up to 😉

Tom,

I think that must have been a “sleeper” that no one has awakened from yet.

I thought I missed out on Saturday, after that music interlude. Is this Friday, everyone on vacation, or what?

WAKE UP, GUYS! It’s too quiet around these parts.

18. TJ, let’s just say I spent a year or two dabbling around in USENET.

No pics. All text.

I’ve “heard” of that, but, don’t know anything about it.

Sounds fascinating, like a study in human behavior.

But, I’m happy with the show here. Feel like I get more than my money’s worth on SH.

I still think we should have t-shirts 😉

NOT EITHER TWO MOST EVIL FORCES AND YOU PEOPLE GRASP SHUT CRIMINAL!

“When are YOU PEOPLE going to GRASP this fact, and activate to SHUT them down as CRIMINAL organizations?”~His/Her Majesty Unaffiliated

When you descend from your sanctimonious high horse.

“.thanks for the entertainment endorsement, but it’s meant to be poltically enlightening, for the clueless masses, not mere entertainment for the wicked.”

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! Stephen Colbert couldn’t mock the flat earthers this well!

23. Ascend of Asheville says:

@Unaffiliated,
    I’m actually interested in where you might be coming from. Do you describe yourself as a Libertarian? An Objectivist like our friend Tim Peck? Are you perhaps an Anarchist? Is this some new strain of Tea Party?

I’m interested to know.

24. Please don’t tie any of these “libertarians” to anarchism. It’s embarrassing.

25. Ascend of Asheville says:

I think Unaffiliated is actually more likely to be an anarchist than anything. Chaos is so cool. it’s like dropping out of high school cool.

I suspect Unaffiliated is Glolady.

Inquiring minds want to know ;-/

Did you guys hear about the next topless get-together coming to Asheville?

Would UA approve or disapprove? 😉

This is fun!

When did the comments get so far down the tracks? What is the “perfect” number of responses before we go to the planetary limits?

“Did you guys hear about the next topless get-together coming to Asheville?”

You mean the learing, old codger, teasefest / child endangerment show? Mumbitts be bouncing off the walls. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mumbitt

Carl Mumpower does not approve of topless women. “GoBrainless.org” is his way of saying it’s not good.

So, let me think how this works…

He doesn’t approve.

He wants to protest.

He has a website to encourage people to go take pics to post.

He won’t see it in person.

He can stay at home and preview it on his website.

Wow! Seriously??!!

Davyne:

I guess it’s easier to declare a plot of land a park to get rid of us “homeless, dirty hippies” of Occupy with a new ordinance- but, changing a nonsensical about it being legal to show our breasts in public, creating ALL sorts of potential problems… well, it’s the “right to free speech” to demonstrate that. But, why “protest?” It’s already legal.

Maybe all the stores should make bigger signs about “shoes and SHIRTS required.” 😉

OMG! Is this really so hard to deal with!?

I guess I really AM in change taking the long term road, if this is an example of what passes for free speech, when Occupy gets arrested for being in a park after 10 pm.

31. Michael Muller says:

The takeaway here TJ is that the next time Occupy sets up camp, they should all just go topless.

That’d be fun!

Ha! That’s PERFECT!!

When I go to the Seniors and Friends, I’ll recruit. Next, Social Justice. Then, my tattoo’d friends. And, I don’t want to leave out the newly formed Mindful Occupy group. Somehow, I don’t think anyone would be that mindful 😉

Strange. If I let Hannah go topless, it would be exploiting a minor. And, women don’t want the “she asked for it” defense b/c the man says she was wearing the “wrong” thing.

Maybe, the new defense would be “she wasn’t wearing anything.”

Oh, and, people get all weird and stuff when a woman is breast-feeding, even discreetly, but, they can legally go topless??

Jeesh! No wonder I’m so confused!

33. nick s says:

He can stay at home and preview it on his website.

Someone needs to set up FappyMumpowerDay.com.

What censorship?