Jul

You Thought You Had It Bad

If you think the electoral dance of a thousand paper cuts is going off the rails here in our home state, I’d like to remind you that it could be worse.

For instance, in our eponymous sister to the south this week, it seems that the winner of the Republican primary race just got booted out in spite of the so-called and often touted “will of the people” and the loser of that particular contest declared the official candidate. There are about a million things wrong with that, but start with what it takes to even go through the maneuvers necessary to get the guy that beat you in the election thrown out on a technicality. This guy needs a cojones trophy of some sort, not to mention pretty much any old Democratic challenger that can take advantage of the heinousness by sounding the least bit reasonable in the general. No, wait, this is in South Carolina, so “reasonable” doesn’t count for much.

Meanwhile, the good news out of Wisconsin is that, a month after the election the loser, the redundantly named Van Wanggaard has conceded that contest, giving the Democrats control of the State Senate. Mr. Wanggaard claims it was the failure to institute a voter ID bill in time that gave the election to the evil Democrats, and charges of irregularities at the polls have become something of an urban legend up there. You know, one of those stories that a lot of people think are true but don’t have any real basis in fact.

Compared to that kind of drama, I guess we are lucky in our little corner of North Carolina to only have to suffer through the nonsensical platitudes and canned talking points of  Vance Patterson and Mark Meadows, trying to out-grovel one another before the imperious local Tea Baggers for the right to take on the third Republican in the contest, Hayden Rogers, who won his contest early by putting a “D” in front of his name in a contest he should have been locked out of on philosophical grounds.

And speaking of tame and crazy, over behind the wall of insular intellectual dissipation that is the Citizen Times, Jon Ostendorff, whose sweater vest is not just a passing phase, but a symbol of solidarity is busy making nonsensical headlines aimed at Patsy Keever that don’t turn out to have much behind them, Hair-splitting aside.

The election season is about to heat up, and it couldn’t happen to a nicer country. We don’t have an official half-time show, or Hank Jr. or checkered flags or starting pistols, but everyone knows it is just about time for the second half to start. Oh goodie.

Comments

1. From the Ostendork piece:

“He has endorses Mitt Romney.”

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Yeeha! Get the poopcorn a’poppin. It’s gonna be a fun season.

Good Lord, it’s another round of blog drama. 😎 Cool!

4. Michael Muller says:

Oh my.

I think I like Hank’s version better 8-).

Who’s got the checkered flag?

Guns?

I’ll inquire at the next Tea Party invite I get 😉

6. Michael Muller says:

Now I’m starving.

Go to a tea party, Michael.

8. Hazelite says:

I has endorses jambalaya.

“I has endorses jambalaya.”

Cute ;-).

At least that has a sound of authenticity culturally to some people I have known in the past.

Didn’t sound so cute when it was first said.

“Too sexy.” “Educated.”

;-). Convoluted response…

Yup, sounds political.

11. Ascend of Asheville says:

I love that clip. Doesn’t that pre-date Sarah Palin by several years? And yet, so eerily similar.

12. Ascend of Asheville says:

Dance of a thousand paper cuts. Star Trek edition.

“The discussion in this comment thread thus far is absolutely riveting. A fitting representation of “political thought” in Asheville.” S2

No one can be brilliant all the time, but we can be most of the time. Pleased to see you appreciate our riveting banter.

14. Roger E. Hartley says:

Ok then. I did read the story today about Keevers apparent sidestepping of an endorsement of our President. Maybe I don’t know enough but I found it puzzling, disappointing, and it is remarkable that Ascend calls it hair splitting. I have been massivy impressed with her in our state legislature. But the very independent voice she carries appears b this move to be a real diss to our President, the party, and frankly looks a whole whole lot like distancing for the sake of a conservative district. Just didn’t seem like the public servant I’ve been following …. Is all.

15. Roger E. Hartley says:

And I’ll also say that I know our President is unpopular and I don’t agree with him on a lot a times but he is going to need every ounce of support in this state. If he wins this battleground state it will be very hard to for him to lose the election. In fact, if he wins here, he wins. The fact that this was a press release means that it was an intentional statement that looks a helluva like distancing. There can be no distancing if Obama is to win this state. If Ostendof has this all wrong then by all means, let’s chat.

The continued loss of personal freedoms via “Homeland Security,” and the ham fisted way the Occupy Movement has been treated by Governments, (local and state) with what appears to be tacit approval by our national “leadership,” is reason enough to reject Obama…and let the chips fall where they may. Guilting and fear mongering may work on some of us, but not all of us.

17. Roger E. Hartley says:

Davyne,

That might be reason enough to reject everyone.

18. arrington13 says:

This is a good example of why many folks are unaffliated, including myself.

Should Keever have endorsed Obama because that’s who people want to see in office, even at the expense of her own campaign? Is her campaign unable to win against a GOP challenger and therefore she should absolutely throw out an endorsement because afterall, it won’t matter? Why isn’t Obama endorsing Keever? Do they only go one way?

It certainly appears (from the outside of course) that the national and state Democratic party hasn’t really thrown in much support to Keever without her drumming it up on a grassroots level. At least that was the case in the primary and I haven’t seen much else to suggest otherwise.

Endorsements nearly always are more about strategy and less about “kum ba yah” party moments. It just seems to be the first time in a while that the Democratic party is having to deal with it given Obama’s recent polling numbers.

It begs the question — what’s more important, the chicken or the egg?

The United States Supreme Court is reason enough alone to support President Obama’s reelection.

“Supreme Court”

I may do it for this reason, but I will be holding my nose while I pencil in my vote.

21. arrington13 says:

Interesting that Unaffliated used the exact names that Buncombe County Young Republicans used on twitter.

Maybe that’s a coincidence. Maybe that’s a conspiracy theory where a radical liberal posts as “unaffliated” using BCYR language to make them look bad. In any case, it appears the message is certainly affliated to one side.

In fact, every post from you seems to contradict your very name. I’m a little let down with your choice of name given your cleverness to come up with play on words for candidates.

22. arrington13 says:

Wait my mistake, it wasn’t the BCYRs, it was the WNCGOP. Either way, the point still stands.

23. Ascend of Asheville says:

@Roger,
    My comment about splitting hairs is based on the fact that anyone with any experience covering politics who expects an unequivocal answer to a leading question in the middle of summer in an election year is dreaming.

Keever supported the President to the extent she felt comfortable, and went farther than I would probably have counseled given the circumstances. Ostendorf, instead of taking that answer at its considerable face value instead chose to go all Mike Wallace and accuse her of not answering his question. Which is in my opinion much more about creating a headline than it is reporting what the Lady actually had to say, because he did in fact get an answer. It just wasn’t the answer he was looking for.

This only fits under “You Thought You Had It Bad” post, because of the title. Sorry I can’t fit it in elsewhere, Jeff…

Another victim of the “progress” we see in Asheville?

Quote from Steve:

“The Asheville citizen Times today reported that Trader Joes is opening a store on Merrimon north of Green Life, and that it will displace at least one or more local businesses. La Carreta at 100 Merrimon will be gone, NY Fashion may also be eliminated.

It is clear that local economies, businesses, workers, and families are often hurt badly when bog box stores move into a town. Asheville has already experienced a lot of this. It is time we fought back and let Trader Joe’s know that they are not welcome if they displace local businesses.”

“That might be reason enough to reject everyone.”

If they are doing things using guilt and fear, I agree. However, some people see “telling the truth about the reality of our society,” as propoganda and fear.

Change does not come easily.

The fear of losing local jobs to corporations is a real thing, but, others would say it is “progress.”