Jul

Fracking, Racial Justice, and Budget Vetoes Overridden

It’s a bad day for North Carolina.

N&O:

Rep. Becky Carney, a Democrat from Mecklenburg County who opposes fracking, pushed the wrong button and accidentally voted with Republicans to override the veto. A maneuver by Wake County Republican Paul “Skip” Stam prevented her from changing her vote, giving the GOP a historic one-vote margin of victory.

HuffPo:

North Carolina’s Republican-led legislature voted on Monday to override Democratic Governor Beverly Perdue’s veto of a law that will limit the ability of death-row prisoners to use statistical evidence of racial bias to challenge their sentences.

Fayetteville Observer:

On the budget, the House voted 74-45 in favor of overriding Perdue’s veto of the budget adjustments. The Senate completed the override by a vote of 31-10 about a half-hour later. Both exceeded the three-fifths majority required in each chamber.

Comments

1. Tim Peck says:

Good. Good. And good.

Thanks, Carney, for going green.
    …………………

2. If you are too stupid to use the voting apparatus, you are too stupid to serve in the State House. That just sounds too convenient for me. Maybe it’s time to re-think that whole notion of “no test” for public office.

You guys probably won’t remember the reference, but she just became the Bill Buckner of North Carolina State politics.

Anyone remember Bill Hendon and the proposed nuclear waste site for Sandy Mush?

4. Dixiegirlz says:

^^^ What Ascend said. Puhleeeeeze

Oh Lordy I pushed the wrong button..cuz it’s sooo complicated.

5. Whether or not she’s stupid, the procedural to stop her from changing her vote seems a bit off. Will the NC Dems step up and file a lawsuit on this or just let it slide?

Because, you know, whatever their stated opposition to it I bet more than a few stand to benefit.

I don’t usually pray, I tell everyone at church…never want to undermine someone’s faith when mine don’t get that blessed answer. But, here and now, politics have driven me to it. Irony of ironies.

I pray that no one from the educational system in Mecklenburg Co, who may have educated the esteemed representative, whom apparently “forgot” how to do the vote, has NOT come to teach in Buncombe Co., where my kids now are.

Either she is one of those “no one left behind” folks who got left behind, or, it’s a conspiracy. And, since tomorrow’s the 4th of July, I’m gonna go all patriotic and say it’s not a conspiracy ;-).

So, now: we can watch as the resources are more messed up, and more innocent people die because the budget was too messed up to have enough money to fight it all.

Sounds convenient.

7. Doug Gibson says:

Ascend,

From Rob Schofield at NC Policy Watch:

Votes in the General Assembly are changed literally dozens of times per day after the fact by lawmakers who were not paying attention during votes and/ or, truth be told, by people who change their minds after the fact.

The bottom line is that things like this happen. The way Carney tells it, she tried to correct the problem before the voting ended, but Tillis claimed she couldn’t because it would change the outcome – which he might have known beforehand, but couldn’t have used as an excuse before everyone had voted. I’m sure Tillis will have a different story, and Mat’s right that the Democrats should probably file a lawsuit if they want to establish their bona fides.

But do we need to talk about Carney? Can we talk about Republicans being so all-fired in favor of filling their cigarette lighters at the kitchen sink that they had to override Perdue’s veto even when they’re betting on having a Republican in the governor’s mansion next year? What in the hell was their hurry?

8. Roger E. Hartley says:

Well the bigger issue here is that there are veto proof majorities they we allowed to happen. The last two sessions…budgets, racial justice, Amendment One, airport, water, coastlines, cracking, dropping a largely popular 1/2 cent tax, massive cuts to education and universities…shall I keep going? Would anyone like to tell me if there is an effort to retake the House and Senate? What races are targeted do we can donate?

9. Tim Peck says:

” we talk about Republicans being so all-fired in favor of filling their cigarette lighters at the kitchen sink”

There is actually a place in New York called Burning Springs known for its flammable water — hence the name “Burning Springs.” Discovered in 1669, the springs were burning away well before fracking.

………………

10. Gray Newman says:

This is the second time this session Becky Carney has said she mistakenly pushed the wrong button. The other time was the vote on billboards and allowing tree cutting.

As I recall Charles Taylor displayed some incompetence in working a Congressional voting machine when it came to CAFTA.

12. Goddamn, Tim. That’s pretty stupid, even for you.

13. Hey, if it’s good enough for Burning Springs, the gateway to hell, it’s good enough for North Carolina.
    I guess you could sell the “go organic” crowd on that one.
    I don’t think the Democrats in NC really want to take back the State. Their messaging is as clear as mud, and prominent politicians from our state can’t even get up the cajones to go to the convention.
    What is it with being left of Fascism that makes people so gaddam risk averse?

14. mcates says:

Doug,

There is a window of opportunity for a vote to be changed if cast incorrectly. She just didn’t do it.

After that time period has exprired, House rules do not allow a vote to be changed if it changes the outcome.

House rules that define this process passed 120-0.

15. Doug Gibson says:

[There is a window of opportunity for a vote to be changed if cast incorrectly. She just didn't do it.]

Yeah, Mr. Cates, way ahead of you on that one. My point was that a) these errors happen, and absent other evidence, we should probably give Carney the benefit of the doubt, but b) Democrats need to put up or shut up if they want Carney and the other Democrats who voted to override to escape blame.

It doesn’t look like they’re going to do that, and if Gray can provide a link to an article about Carney’s billboard-tree-clearing vote, I’d say we could put the nail in the coffin of her excuse-making.

[House rules that define this process passed 120-0.]

16. However Mr. Cates would have voted, I can absolutely assure you that he would show equanimity about the whole affair if he had been the one to cast an incorrect vote and was denied the chance to change it.

17. Tim Peck says:

“That’s pretty stupid, even for you.”

That’s all you have? — “you’re stupid”? Not one single argument.

OK. ‘Ad hominem.’ You lose. Thanks.
    …………….

Actually, he said your comment/link was stupid, not you. There is a difference.

19. tatuaje says:

So let me get this straight Tim….

You’re saying because there is a place on earth that has naturally occurring ‘burning springs’ then it is logical to infer that fracking cannot cause the same occurrence?

That seems to be your premise.

20. mcates says:

Doug,

[these errors happen, and absent other evidence, we should probably give Carney the benefit of the doubt]

[And how would you have voted, Mr. Cates, on the bill in question? And where do you stand on the newly rewritten Racial Justice Act?]

I haven’t had time to read the entire bill, which is why I only spoke to the vote.

Multiple studies here and abroad show fracking is unlikely to cause an earthquake humans can detect, while injection of liquid has a known relationship but isn’t our focus. I find that odd.

There’s a balance to strike. Unlike many other countries, we may hit our 2020 Co2 goal.

Here’s a link about Carney:

21. Tim Peck says:

“Because it is natural in one instance then all instances therefore must be natural? That seems to be your premise.”

STRAW MAN

No. One instance of a thing that is naturally occurring does not necessarily suggest that all instances of the same thing are also naturally occurring. That is not my premise.

My premise is that disinformation generates false conclusions and false claims and should be supplanted with accuracy. Supplying only the information that supports a bias is lying by omission.

The phenomenon of flammable gas in tapwater did not arise simultaneously with the emergence of the technology of fracking, as the anti-fracking propagandists in the movie ‘Gasland’ and elsewhere would have us believe. And the assertion that people who support hydraulic fracturing as a means of extracting natural gas are “Republicans that favor filling their cigarette lighters at the kitchen sink,” which is based on this disinformation, is an unhelpful partisan smear.

The truth is that fracking occurs well below water tables and there is no evidence of any connection between the practice and flammable tapwater.
    ……………………..

“I think having our elected officials follow the rules in place is important. Rules cut both ways. I would choose to follow the rules and then work to change them if I didn’t like them.”

Mark, I think that is okay, to a point. I would choose NOT to follow the rules when the rules go against the moral and ethical issues that we, in general, find acceptable.

For example, I would obey the speed limits (and, except in rare instances, I am one of those annoying drivers in the right lane going the exact limit..I never get why I am being tailgated, since I stay out of the left). I might work to change that limit in a given part of town, but, would not speed just to accelerate it somehow-as it would not be an ethical or moral dilemma for me.

On the other hand, just because a rule says it is okay for someone to discriminate because of someone’s sexual orientation, or, as in the past, skin color, I find that immoral AND unethical, and I will gladly be involved in non-violent protest, or, civil disobedience to call attention to it. If I had been around during Nazi Germany, I would have been one of the folks hiding people from the Nazi’s. (sorry, not trying to get all “Hitlery.” It’s just an easy example).

Or, say, look at how child abuse laws began. It was legal to beat a child, and children were not recognized as having rights of any sort. It took a law about cruelty to animals, and the child being catagorized as an animal life form, that child abuse laws came about.

There is a time and a place for MANY types of protests or changing of the “rules.”

23. mcates says:

TJ,

[I find that immoral AND unethical]

The vote on the House rules was a 120-0. Personally, I don’t think Rep. Carney is that dumb…

“I don’t think Rep. Carney is that dumb…”

Probably not. It IS difficult to comprehend how someone could “accidently” vote incorrectly. I don’t represent anyone else, and I make sure I am on the right line before I mark it.

25. Tim Peck is like a parrot that someone taught dirty words.