Apr

Quantum Conservatism

Quantum mechanics suggests that as you bore down deeper into matter, Newton’s laws break down. You enter a quirky, alternate universe of gluons and quarks, of probabilities and spin, and particles with “flavors” like charm and strangeness where the rules governing ordinary reality no longer apply.

Now enter the world of quantum conservatism, where commonsense rules of logic and evidence do not apply. It is a world of belief, not fact, where up is down, black is white, in is out, wrong is right.

To you and me, a cat locked in a box might be dead or alive. But quantum conservatism finds it easy to argue that Schrödinger’s Cat is both alive and dead … at the same time. For example, quantum conservatism believes government never created a job … and has too many people on its payroll. Quantum conservatism believes in freedom of religion, and that Muslims shouldn’t be able to put up mosques wherever they want to.

Quantum conservatism argues that we should follow the clear language of the Constitution … and that, “All persons born or naturalized in the United States,” are not citizens under the 14th Amendment when those persons are born to undocumented immigrants. Quantum conservatism complains that President Obama hasn’t done anything to curb entitlement spending, and in the next breath complains that Obama cut Medicare. Quantum conservatism (especially in Arizona) believes any employer should be able to fire a woman who uses contraceptives to prevent pregnancy … as well as to fire her if she actually gets pregnant.

And finally, quantum conservatism believes that Kentucky Fried Chicken is a person – headquartered in Louisville, in a bucket.

And that’s my sermon.

Categories : Sunday Sermon

Comments

1. David Cohen says:

Well said, Tom!

2. Andrew Dahm says:

People really should vote.

Is this another example?

Climate change is real, but we shouldn’t try to do anything about it because there are some people who say it’s not caused by human activity.

4. Andrew Dahm says:

I just have trouble putting Einstein, Heisenberg, and American politics in my head at the same time. One of these things doesn’t belong.

Andrew: I would say it’s the politics. There’s less thinking done there.

How about this?

We need to build nuclear power plants, and now that nuclear bombs are out, nuclear power is in. We all know the health risks are just in our heads.

Oh, and, we need to spend more on weapons because we want to have peace.

And… when we go to war and civilians in other countries are killed, it’s “collateral damage,” but, they come here and the civilians killed are a result of terrorism. And, what nerve they have, thinking they can bring war to OUR borders… don’t they know we would be happy to personally deliver it to THEIR doorstep??

And, there’s nothing wrong with our water. The super sales of bottled water is just a fluke. But, somebody better sieze our water, to make sure it’s done right.

Aaaarrgghhh!

I don’t usually do these mind games until later. Now, I’m going on overload.

And, dammitt….I really am annoyed that the mayor is Occupying my brain about this…..

Our Mayor is all for equality and standing in solidarity. But, she voted against the equality resolution. House says “everyone lies.” I say she lies, saying she is against Amendment One. Otherwise, it’s another one of those mind-twisting things (and, Tom, I’m wondering what kind of strange pleasure you get out of this mind game ;-) ).
    She’s against equality for gay folks, because it goes against her religious beliefs, but, somehow her religious ideology has room to say she is against something that would live that out in a practical way. Like Nietzche pondered: “is it I or the others who are crazy?”

Okay, Tom, I’ll admit it. It’s that same sense of satisfaction I get when I go to church and ask people if they think God created evil… especially when the Bible they believe in says that God created ALL things, and without God NOTHING is created. ;-)

I think it’s a curse to think this much. 8-)…either God, or my military, church-going, Republican, etc. father of mine did this to me!

“But, she voted against the equality resolution. House says “everyone lies.” I say she lies, saying she is against Amendment One. “

“Lies from the pit of hell.” ~ Terry Bellamy on being confronted around town that she is bigoted.

““…regardless of what you call me, I’m still gonna go to the restaurants, I’m still gonna go to events, where there are people who believe that I don’t want to be there or don’t represent them – It’s a lie from the pit of hell. I represent, whether you like me or not, ALL the citizens of Asheville. When I was elected, I made that commitment to represent everybody…” ~ T. Bellamy

Wow! The perfect storm starts.

Calls the lies from the pit of hell? So, make a commitment, Mayor.

Is bigotry/your refusal to support equal rights for ALL an idea from the pit of hell? Or, is your lie that others are lying, a lie from the pit?

I think we all know which is true. And, yes, if there is a burning pit, it is from hell…for all the hell people have to go through in life as a result of this kind of thinking.

9. Doug Gibson says:

Corporate income taxes penalize job creators by doubling their personal income taxes. And at the same time corporate income taxes take the same amount of money out of the pockets of workers. And despite this multiplier effect, they decrease net government revenue.

Collective bargaining is at once socialism (when workers do it to gain leverage with their employers) and the essence of capitalism (when investors band together to screw workers).

The other day in Praise GOPsus, I commented on an NPR story about how the right mixes theology and free-market economics. And it’s not a happy accident, as in “Hey, you got chocolate in my peanut butter!” and “You got peanut butter in my chocolate!” Instead, they sound as if they’re reading from “Jesus Shrugged”. It ain’t pretty, as Andrew Sullivan wrote a few weeks ago.

You have these weird conversations where they try to make Jesus into a free-marketeer:

God’s Own Party (from the NPR piece): The Bible tells us that socialism and neo-socialism never worked. Confiscatory tax rates never work … People aren’t going to work very hard and very productively unless they get to keep a substantial portion of that which they make for them and for their families.

Me [quoting Acts 4, as RHS did]: What about the disciples holding all things in common, distributing to each according to his need?

God’s Own Party [quickly pivoting]: Well, but Jesus wasn’t setting up a government.

Me: So the Bible tells us to keep church and state separate?

God’s Own Party: … crickets

He also drove those guys out of the temple as they tried to sell their goods, exploiting the needs to make a profit. I wonder what he would do to BoA today? Maybe throw out their vaults?

He also said, “render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar’s.

Seems like he was more concerned about the good of the people over what the gov’t thought was expedient.

And, Jesus sure said to follow the law unless it went against the law of God. The gov’t and the religious leaders were intricately intertwined in His day. So, I guess I can’t figure out where that “separation” came from – in the religious circles, at least.

I still think it is a good idea.

I say Jesus should come back, go to Washington, call the bunch of them a “brood of vipers,” like he did the leaders of the day. Of course, he would get assassinated again.

Still, it would be awesome to see him go to people like Tim Moffitt, the mayor, and all the guys with ads talking about “family values,” (::gag::) and call them out on misusing his teachings.

I should have kept my sign that asked “what Jesus do YOU follow?”

Then, they would ask him for his voter id card, driver’s license, immigration papers, take him to sign up for food stamps and welfare, and stick him in a local shelter, or arrest him for trespassing or loitering.

13. Tim Peck says:

“Collective bargaining is … the essence of capitalism (when investors band together to screw workers).”

The essence of capitalism is economic and political freedom, the protection of individual right (including property rights) and an objective rule of law enforce by a limited government that abstains from political control over the economy. I should add that capitalism does not exist in this country.

As a student of economics, I’d be interested to know more specifics about this mechanism where “investors band together” for the nefarious purposes that you so far have only vaguely referred to.

Thanks in advance for your help and instruction on these apparently conflicting points.
    ………………………..

14. Doug Gibson says:

At the same time, though, I’m not clear on why collective economic action through corporations has a higher moral value than collective civic action through government.

As a student of history, I’d be interested in knowing more specifics on why the wealthy get to work together while the peons do not.

Thanks in advance, etc.

15. Dixiegirlz says:

@ Doug and Tim…thanks in advance for a thorough discussion on this particular topic.

16. Andrew Dahm says:

Mr. Peck’s belief in the goodness of humanity, exceeded only by his belief in the goodness of limited liability corporations, is truly inspiring.

I got your unregulated bank right here.

Heaven forfend we give authority to elected officials and retain the right to kick them out if they screw up. Hereditary oligarchy now and forever!

The essence of capitalism:

Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men for the nastiest of motives will somehow work for the benefit of all. — John Maynard Keynes (attributed to)

The pic above is a heartbreak. I’ve seen this in real life in the souks of Morocco, where 5 & 6 years old children hammer copper pots for the tourist, others sweat all day over pools of dye…with no regard for toxicity. I’m sure there were many other “occupations” suitable for children that I wasn’t privvy to view. Probably a bit of sexual exploitation thrown in for good measure. The vacant look in a five year old child laborer is haunting, and unforgettable. God forbid we should ever go back to those days.

The pic above is a heartbreak. I’ve seen this in real life in the souks of Morocco, where 5 & 6 year old children hammer copper pots for the tourist, others sweat all day over pools of dye…with no regard for toxicity. I’m sure there were many other “occupations” suitable for children that I wasn’t privvy to view. Probably a bit of sexual exploitation thrown in for good measure. The vacant look in a five year old child laborer is haunting, and unforgettable. God forbid we should ever go back to those days.

21. Tim Peck says:

I’m sorry Mr. Gibson has not been able to answer my question or explain his comments with specifics, facts and logic. Perhaps next time. Perhaps not.
    ……………………..

“Actually, Tim, I was specifically trolling for you. I’m sorry. I really am. Feel free to troll for me sometime. I deserve it.”

Really, Doug? Did you really have to give him ammo to keep feeling victimized? He’s already pretty good at it, ya know? ;-)

“Probably a bit of sexual exploitation thrown in for good measure. The vacant look in a five year old child laborer is haunting, and unforgettable. God forbid we should ever go back to those days.”

I’m sure you know, D., that we still have that in America, but, now we sugarcoat and cover it up better by calling it “domestic help,” “mother’s helpers,” etc. And sexual exploitation? We have plenty of children kidnapped, raped, and murdered by pedophiles and powerful people who think they can pay for anything, and it makes it legitimate. My father knew plenty of military people who abused their positions of power, and, there was little or nothing the children could do.

And, that’s just in America (“land of the free”)…and, that’s just the ones someone has witnessed.

Then, there are the silent witnesses. And, they don’t dare look up to let anyone see the secrets their eyes hold.

Tim,

He’s probably too busy altering your timestamps!

“He’s probably too busy altering your timestamps!”

Oh, for God’s sake! Just offer the poor guy therapy! He already knows someone’s out to get him…

He might add comic relief about 8pm, Wed., say? Or, maybe like Monk, you might have to get him when you’re fresh in the a.m.

Well, okay, maybe not…I think I’d have to stifle too many giggles
    ;-)

Every crisis line I’ve worked, there are always the repeat callers, usually a “colorful” character. ScruHoo must be “special,” cause we got Tim. 8-/

I heard this about a specific diagnosis (I won’t say it here, to avoid the negative connotation), but, I think it fits Tim:

How do you treat a “Tim?”

Refer him out.

“I’m sure you know, D., that we still have that in America,”

At this time I believe child labor laws are still in effect…so we are not seeing this type of exploitation on the grand scale I saw in a fairly liberal Muslim country. Government stamp of approval is not happening at this time..but that could change.

“Government stamp of approval is not happening at this time..but that could change.”

Now, it comes in the form of migrant farms. In CA, I saw kids working in conditions that DSS would mandate removal of the kids if they were in similar conditions in a “respected” citizens home. But, well, they’re just migrant workers. Yes, there are regulations, but, there are also “regulations” that are simply a wink and a nod and a turning away.

Then, there are those childreno ff the radar, bought, sold and thrown away by privilaged people who see them as a commodity.

But, I will stop at that, since I am straying from the original intent of straightforward child labor issues.

B-]

Sorry for all the typos, I still can’t figure out why this computer doesn’t give me the time to edit, like my other one does.

TJ, I believe (for whatever reason) you keep missing my point….there is a huge difference in legal vs. illegal child labor. I am saying that there are still (at this time) child labor laws in place. If they were repealed the flood gates would open.

29. Tim Peck says:

“He’s probably too busy altering your timestamps!”

Yes, that would be rather time-consuming. And would reflect a general dysfunctional preoccupation with deception and bias, which has been a hallmark of this blog for years.

Carry on, good sir, carry on.
    ……………………………..

30. Tim Peck says:

“examples of unregulated capitalism?” Hinkley_groundwater_contamination

Nope. This is an example of pollution.

Pollution is a violation of property rights, which capitalism prohibits. I hope we have a free market in this country someday. What we have now is an interventionist economy that undermines property rights. Sad, but it’s what you vote for. Thanks.
    ………………………..

Davyne:

Yes, you are correct. As I said my next to last post, I strayed from the original intent.

(For many reasons) I strayed to the illegal trades, and not the legal. I didn’t miss your point, I went down the rabbit hole too far.

I DO agree that it all can change. As corporate greed becomes even more rampant, all bets are off, and, anyone becomes even more expendable…especially, the most vulnerable among us.

It’s early, and I cannot think too much right now. Who was it that said the measure of a nation is how it treats its children(or, the most vulnerable among them?). Was that it?

Sorry, too tired to goolge right now.

So – point taken, thank you.

32. Doug Gibson says:

Sorry, Tim. I thought I had answered your question.

In my first comment I was trolling. I admitted it, said I was sorry, and am prepared to be banned for it (it would certainly boost my productivity).

I don’t believe-not for a second-that investors, as a class, come together specifically in order to cheat workers of their due. In the aggregate, they come together to make a profit. Presumably some find creating a well-run enterprise or the manufacture of something useful an even bigger draw, and I’m guessing one or two out of a thousand enjoy-and are prone to abuse-the power that comes with wealth.

But in the aggregate investors also seem to be a little, um, callous about the effect their profit-seeking activity has on everyone else in the world.

So to the extent I had a point, I don’t think I’m the first to wonder why, when libertarians lay out their vision of the world, Property and the acquisition of Property seem to be the only essential components of human agency.

Because pollution isn’t bad simply because it interferes with a single person’s enjoyment of his property, but also because it destroys things essential to the survival of the species as a whole, and can threaten the health and well-being of people who haven’t even been born yet.

Who owns the air that Cliffside fills with traces of mercury? I don’t know. Maybe it’s Duke Power’s air until it leaves the stacks. And then it’s my air when I take it into my lungs. But when the mercury reaches my lungs-when it becomes my property-it’s already too late to do anything about it, and it’s small comfort that True Capitalism would frown on the harm it did me.

33. Andrew Dahm says:

As a real-life capitalist, I can assure you that capitalism prohibits absolutely nothing.

So when can I pick up that free beer?

35. Dixiegirlz says:

The alter of capitalism is without a soul.

36. Michael Muller says:

Tom Sullivan is brilliant. And absolutely correct.

37. Andrew Dahm says:

Shad, I am reliably informed that our state, counties and municipalities have arranged for advance purchases of beer for the people of North Carolina from two large brewing companies. It’s millions of pints retail, and I’m sure the Crack Negotiators have arranged a great deal for you. I guess the free beer arrives with your tax forms, bills, refund checks, dunno.

I’m afraid my little brewery is not involved in a public-private partnership, and therefore we’re not in a position to give away product. In fact, things are a tad dire.

38. Andrew Dahm says:

Like a dog returning to its vomit, the phrase “which capitalism prohibits” has been nagging at me all day, Tim. I really don’t think you understand how this thing works.

Read about the American railroad industry, with a concentration on one Henry Clay Frick. Believe me, if you’re intellectually honest at all, it’ll make you want to regulate the hell out of something.

39. Ascend of Asheville says:

Amen to that, Andrew. Great beer, by the way.

40. tatuaje says:

Therein lies the rub.

41. Dixiegirlz says:

BTW, that pic looks like coal mine kids. My husband treated a lot of black lung coal workers back in the late 50s thru 60s. It’s a horrible way to have to live, with every breath labored. BUT, then the evil regulators made some I regulations in the industry..and black lung became less of a side effect of working the coal mines. I’m guessing some anti-regulation folks might think that infringed on the mine owners right to exploit people to the nth degree.

42. Tim Peck says:

“Read about the American railroad industry”

OK, I’ll start here:

43. Tim Peck says:

“capitalism prohibits absolutely nothing.”

FALSE.

Capitalism is the only moral social system. It protects individual rights, including property rights. You really should edumacate yourself.

Capitalism Unbound

What Is Capitalism? [audio]

Radical for Capitalism
    …………………….

44. Andrew Dahm says:

Mr. Hill is an outlier, far from typical. I would encourage broader study. Do note, however, his preference for collusion and price-fixing.

Ayn Rand, I’m sorry – just plain unadulterated crank. There’s plenty of collusion, pollution and adulteration going on, and government regulation is not to blame.

45. Andrew Dahm says:

And try this on for size, Mr. Peck. If you’ve ever been paid overtime, drawn a paid vacation day, or benefited from unemployment insurance, isn’t your support of objectivism a refutation of the notion that people act in their own, enlightened, self-interest?

I mean, if I was sitting on eight figures of inherited money, I’d be all about the bootstraps myself. But – honestly – I’ve benefited from a social contract that involves progressive taxation, wage-and-hour standards, environmental protections, public assistance, etc., and it’d be dishonest of me to pretend otherwise.

46. Tim Peck says:

“[blah, blah, blah,] isn’t your support of objectivism a refutation of the notion that people act in their own, enlightened, self-interest?”

Nope. Study Henry Ford. And learn about the general benefits of self-interest.

By the way, I LOVE child labor. So, apparently, does Obama.
    …………………………

Having your kid, do family /farm chores is entirely different than sending a 9 or 10 year old daily to work in the mill or the coal mine. I think most people with common sense are well aware of that.

BTW in my own ancestry research, my Grandfather was shown as working at Sonoco Mill in Hartsville, SC in the 1910 census. He was 11 at the time.

48. Andrew Dahm says:

Well, honestly, Tim, I think you should refund any overtime pay you receive, never take a paid sick or vacation day, and don’t draw unemployment. Problem solved. Honestly.

Mr. Ford is another example of great individual fortune derived in not inconsiderable part from the public trough. Defense contracting, dontcha know, honesty compels one to admit.

Your selective approach to railroad wealth is duly noted, however – Hill may be the only railroad baron who didn’t directly benefit from federal largesse, though that can be argued by honest people. The plain fact is that much of the accumulated wealth in this country is due to government assistance, and it’s dishonest to argue otherwise.

Oh, and we don’t have much slavery at all, no thanks to organized capital, if one is being honest.

Anyone else digging the irony here?

When you’re in a hole…….stop digging.

51. Andrew Dahm says:

I do not have one ironic bone in my body. Honestly.

52. Tim Peck says:

“I’m sorry – just plain unadulterated crank”

Ad hominem name-calling is not an argument. But you knew that.
    ……………………..

53. Tim Peck says:

“Having your kid, do family /farm chores is entirely different than sending a 9 or 10 year old daily to work in the mill or the coal mine.”

Sending? I guess it depends on whether or not it is voluntary. Actually, it is capitalism that freed children from having to work.
    …………………….

Actually, it is capitalism that freed children from having to work.

Of course! Capitalism also freed the slaves, and invented Tuesday.

The logic is Timpeckable!

56. Andrew Dahm says:

I am not touching the child labor thing with a ten-foot pole. I’m sure you have your reasons for making a claim like that.

I was mistaken in calling Ms. Rand an unadulterated crank. She is in fact a writer who endorses terrorism (The Fountainhead), and a power-worshipping crypto-fascist. My apologies.

She’s a fiction writer, though, so no biggie. Dickens wrote fiction which accurately described the charnel-house that was free-market public-private capitalism in Britain at the time, and his heroes transgressed against social norms by helping those less fortunate, as opposed to blowing them to bits or hiding their ever-so-precious talents from society at large.

I choose mental health and Dickens over their alternatives, embodied in Ms. Rand.

What you call “capitalism” is actually slavery-cum-warlordism-cum-feudalism, cleaned up and dressed up by generations of people – in the form of their elected governments – deciding just what kinds of protections and rights society at large will extend to organized capital. If you don’t think we can wind up back at slavery, good for you. Your blind faith and optimism, Mr. Peck, is unassailable, and my hat is off to you. Honestly.

Rep. Paul Ryan, the guy who once made his staff read her magnum opus is doing his Etch-A-Sketch (or is it Judas?) bit for his team by denying Ayn Rand and embracing Thomas Aquinas. In response, Krugman revisits a classic joke about bookish fourteen-year olds and orcs.

58. Andrew Dahm says:

Of all the writers one could supplant Ayn Rand with, I think St. Thomas Aquinas is about the funniest. Kind of like a Telly Savalas to Mr. Rogers makeover, only Telly Savalas starts with a bone in his nose and a glue-sniffing habit.

“Man should not consider his material possession his own, but as common to all, so as to share them without hesitation when others are in need.” — St. Thomas Aquinas

Welcome to the world of collectivism, Congressman Ryan.

60. trifecta says:

If my reading of Austrian Economics and Ayn Rand’s ethics are correct, we should declare the fetus a lazy parasite sucking up resources.