Mar

Read & Discuss

Cecil Bothwell has a high-profile endorsement today by Glenn Greenwald, writing in Salon.

I’d be interested to know what the locals think about Cecil’s chances, given that we at least theoretically know more about which way the local political winds are blowing, and if y’all think attracting the glowing endorsement of the “professional left” helps in WNC or not.

To echo Gordon and his concerns about the Amendment One campaign, I’m not hearing the level of political excitement around the area that I thought I would be. With that in mind, I’d like to know what you out there are hearing and seeing of the various candidates. I’d also love to hear any predictions, prognostications or posterior emissions you would care to share concerning the upcoming primaries.

Categories : Uncategorized

Comments

1. Jason Bugg says:

I’ll donate whatever money I can to whomever I can to stop you fucking people from using “y’all”. You people are like someone rapping on a macaroni and cheese commercial.

“To echo Gordon and his concerns about the Amendment One campaign, I’m not hearing the level of political excitement around the area that I thought I would be.”

Speaking with a local teacher, he brought up the point (as it was brought up on SH) that he finds it shameful that Amendment One is being used to distract from the elections, and to get more Republicans out to vote.

As I talk with people, there seems to be an underlying feeling of fatalism, that there is not much hope with the Republicans “running the show.”

I’m pretty sure that’s how Dems have felt many a time.

I REALLY would like to see Cecil win, but honesty and politics don’t mix well. Or, that’s what seems to be evidenced.

3. Diogenes says:

I shall vote vote for Cecil with enthusiasm and I rarely get to make that kind of declaration. Can he win? Barring unforeseen circumstances, not a snowball’s change in hell. But I’ve been wrong before, more than once and would be delighted to be wrong again about this.

4. Ascend of Asheville says:

Whither our glorious party chairman, the esteemed and absent Mr. Carny? He must be one hell of a behind the scenes player, because from my position out here in the hinterlands, he ain’t exactly burning down barns, if you get my drift.
    I’ve been complaining for months about the lackluster online presence of the Buncombe county Democratic party, and personally feel like they rely far too much on this particular blog, and one certain city council member to get their message out. So where is the fire? Where is the heat? Why are we asking “what’s happening?” when we really should know by now?
    …And if elected to the Chairman’s post I promise to strike fear in the hearts of right wingers everywhere. Thank you for your support.

You WOULD think the locals DP would be running their own propaganda machine on line. It’s not rocket science. Leaving it up to this blog is kinda dicey. Running their own, they could censor out upstarts who aren’t very pleased with the goings on of some of the local Democrats. Present company (me)included.

Diogenes: Some of us CAN’T vote for Cecil (unless we do some of those dead people votes Republicans are always resurrecting in their complaints), but, I would in a heartbeat.

I would LOVE to be wrong, and have my idealism reinforced.

Where are those “believe it, and it will manifest” people when you need them?

Ascend: did you figure out the fire and brimstone thing, like striking lightning thing? I think that’s the only thing they understand, really.

7. Ascend of Asheville says:

You know, if they need a media person to take care of their obvious online needs, I am cheap, and available for the duration. I’m just saying. There is no real reason to just let shit slide because you can’t be bothered getting it together.

LOL. You mean you expect to be paid?! You’re talking about Democrats, not Republicans.

9. Ascend of Asheville says:

@Tom, Oh, yes. You are so right. Sorry. “For the cause”, and all that, eh?

In other news, I see they (Dems) refinanced their headquarters. How that translates into winning strategy and great voter turn-out, I have yet to learn, unless they did it for some equity cash, which would be a sad state of affairs.

I’ve tried inviting this Carney person on the radio, but apparently citizen journalists don’t make it on his call back lists.

But, something is happening here, I just don’t know what it is. Paging Mr. Jones, Mr. Jones…

10. Lindsey Simerly says:

The local Dem Party is run entirely by volunteers. They can’t participate in primaries (which almost every race has) and they are busy gearing up to do some winning in the fall when it matters the most.

11. Lindsey Simerly says:

@Ascend- Have you ever been to BC Dem HQ in the fall of an election year? It is packed with volunteers, candidates, yard signs, mail, piles of data up to the ceiling, and bad gas station food. It is really something to see and is my idea of heaven. You should come over for a volunteer shift some time.

“I’m not hearing the level of political excitement around the area that I thought I would be. With that in mind, I’d like to know what you out there are hearing and seeing of the various candidates.”

I’m hearing that there was a verbal slugfest just recently between the local yaller dogs and Cecil at a meeting in Weaverville. Seems they were demanding Cecil tone down his progressive rhetoric. But then lookey here, because of his ability to stick to his principles, he gets an important national level endorsement.

13. Ascend of Asheville says:

@Lindsey, Now that’s what I like to hear, and yes, I fully plan to be right there with you in politics heaven later this year.
    Are there more forums coming up, anybody? Plug ’em if you got ’em.

14. Hazelite says:

Y’all y’all y’all y’all y’all! We all were using y’all before rap was invented, so get over it. Y’uns & You’uns too.

Y’all are a fixin’ to git a whoopin behind the barn for bad grammar. Grammer policemans are are heah. Ya heah?

Y’all is a perfectly legitimate contraction and is infinitely easier on and more pleasing to the ear than “yous guys.”

17. Jason Bugg says:

It isn’t about grammar, it’s about white bread idiots trying to appear down.

You all sound like carpetbagging morons.

Playing ethnicy jazz on your five grand stereos and such.

I grew up using “y’all”. I’ve used it in speech and writing my entire life. This will not change because Jason Bugg doesn’t like it.

It does remind me of the time I met this 20-something white kid on Carolina Lane. I told him I was headed to Washington, D.C. to protest the coming war in Iraq. He said, with full Jamaican flourish, “I and I don’t fight Babylon. I and I build Zion with Jah Love”. He introduced himself as “Bookmon”. I imagine this is the type of person that creates such venom in the Buggs of the world.

“Also Davyne, you can’t simultaneously claim to be from Crappalachia and New Orleans.”

Oh hell yeah I can. Besides what kind of hair splitting is that, My Bug?

My roots in this area go back to the mid 1700s, I’m in the ninth generation of the Smith clan….& I was born not very far from here. Many of my ancesters are buried with in a 60 mile trip from Asheville. And I live in NOLA for ten years. NOLA is my spiritual home, where I cut my spiritual teeth and here is my ancestral home.

It’s clear that you don’t “get” the rich flavor of the southern dialects, as something to enjoy in it’s own right like biscuits, grits, and banana pudding made from scratch.

I’ve got several local friends whose vernacular is out of the hills, and contrary to you, I happen to think their way of speaking is very rich & appealing. Probably Jerry Rice has the most distinct Appalachian dialect, and boy he can lay it on ya.

“I grew up using “y’all”. I’ve used it in speech and writing my entire life. “
    Me to Gordon…and fixin’ has been around all my live long days. I have cracked a few people up using that term…I’m fixin to do so and so, really get’s some grammar police riled.

21. Diogenes says:

Gordon, et al.

It’s like trying to teach a pig to sing. Y’all know Bugg is an ethically-challenged fabulist–an egomaniac with an inferiority complex… in need of a hug.

22. Nathan West says:

“…And if elected to the Chairman’s post I promise to strike fear in the hearts of right wingers everywhere…”

Sounds threatening…I wouldn’t count on it though 🙂

I all seriousness, as a “right winger” (not really just a Republican) Your blog and thoughts are some of the few from the “looney left” that provoke thought and interest when I read them…

23. Diogenes says:

thanque, thanque verrry mucccch.