Nov

What Was Said

Below you’ll find a segment of the October 25, 2011 Asheville City Council meeting during which we decided a couple of things regarding Occupy Asheville. I would’ve liked to get this video up sooner, but technical difficulties meant that this is the earliest it could find its way to your eyeholes.

YouTube Preview Image

That’s all for now. I’m heading out to State Employees Credit Union to transfer my accounts from Wachovia Wells Fargo.

Comments

Bill Rhodes reports that 24 people were arrested last night at the Vance Monument. Photos are here.

More Bill Rhodes photos with the story from Mtn. X: Occupy Asheville Expresses Solidarity With Oakland March

3. Tim Peck says:

Oh, good. We’re solid with the violent Oakland occupiers now. Smooth move.
    …………………

“We’re solid with…”

Wow! You have a real negative worldview, don’t you?

Having videotaped the night until midnight,, I can tell you I watched proudly as 24 people left their comfort zone to stand up and demand their constitutional rights. I have no vested interest in a curfew per we, but I DO agree with the fact that constitutional rights done have a clocked limit.

No one was rude, violent, etc. just a simple, “my name is Elizabeth(I’ll use my TKD instructor’s name here, because I am SO, SO proud of her), I do not consent to this arrest.”

As for Oakland, I am still one that non-violent resistance is what makes the biggest difference. After all, our government is used to declaring war, aren’t they?

And what’s with the “we??”

I did not see you out there, at the business association meeting, the venue edit at Diane W. center, or any number of planning meetings or GA’s. How do you earn the right to say “we?” I don’t even see you there, telling them what YOU would like to see happen, as is the open invitation to everyone.

Please don’t include me in your “we.”

BTW Gordon,

Thanks for posting this. I know many occupies agree with closing the “camp,” as it seems the defeat the purpose of occupying a space to make a statement. It is clear you thought that through and tried to consider all sides. Who knows? Perhaps if you had gone to a GA and said this, you may have reached a consensus.

And thanks for continuing to create a space where. OA can comment if they so choose.

6. Clare Hanrahan says:

Thanks for sharing this Gordon. We are on new ground with this movement and finding our way through the diversity of experiences, temperaments, strategies and ideology. Change is coming from the bottom up, ready or not. The best each of us can do is speak and act from our own wisdom and perspective. You have done both. And we must listen to one another, do what we must with integrity, and keep in mind that it is the common good that we seek in a world gone mad with violence and war.

“. And we must listen to one another, do what we must with integrity, and keep in mind that it is the common good ”

Well stated!

8. trifecta says:

Tim Peck and Glenn Beck are the only two people who have ever blocked me on twitter. Kind of proud of that.

People exercising free speech rights and petitioning about grievances is very American.

So, for being “very American,” channel 13 previews: “Occupy Asheville does not come without a cost. Police are working overtime to keep it under control ( did I miss someone fighting with the police as they were being arrested for standing in the park?). What it is costing you- the taxpayer.”

I wonder if they will do a side by side story about what it costs the taxpayers to NOT stand up for what’s right What our society has already cost the taxpayer far outshadows what a few extra police watching a peaceful demonstration.

10. Dixiegirlz says:

“I wonder if they will do a side by side story about what it costs the taxpayers to NOT stand up for what’s right “

I wouldn’t hold my breath. ACT shows a strong propensity for maintaining the status quo.

11. Tom Buckner says:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: picket the media. Fox and their ilk are a big part of the problem and will never cover a group like Occupy favorably anyway, while giving Tea Partiers tons of free and favorable airtime.

And let me repeat what Norman Goldman said last night: where were the cops in riot gear when the Tea Baggers were carrying guns to rallies and openly threatening violence? Where were the cops in riot gear when Tea Baggers were SPITTING ON CONGRESSPERSONS?

The po-po are not a neutral force in American society. When the chips hit the fan, most of them will happily do what the 1% tell them.

And one way to tell you’re not in a free country is when the line between police and military begins to blur.

12. Tom Buckner says:

Video keeps ‘em honest.

Tom,

I found it interesting that the Occupiers were charged with resisting arrest (according to ch 13). Wonder if it was their spin? No one resisted that I videotaped. I am also curious that the police enforced a rule a out what block of cement we stood on, when someone else can walk through the space any time. I stood with one foot on “public park” space and the street. I told the police, “I can’t decide if I am part of the public or not.”. ;-)

14. Tom Buckner says:

TJ, read this. Long, yes. Seems to ramble, yes. But by the time you get to the end, you’ll see why I invoke it here.

;-)
    I found a “soul-mate.”

Actually, I skimmed through it, and I will print it out to REALLY read it. Thanks for it. This will be my bedtime reading tonight.