Oct

Success Is Not An Option

I, an American small business owner, part of the class that produces the vast majority of real, wealth producing jobs in this country, hereby resolve that I will not hire a single person until this war against business and my country is stopped.

In case you missed it this week, Tea Party Nation included this pledge in an email to its membership. Colbert gives it a tip of his hat…

The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Political Humor & Satire Blog,Video Archive

Right Wing Watch reports today that Tea Party Nation president Judson Phillips responded to the uproar caused by the post, saying “Liberalism is about the control of speech and thought and the suppression of any belief that does not agree with the liberal orthodoxy.” Which is, of course, exactly why lefty bloggers spread the Tea Party Nation email so far and wide this week, why it is featured here, and why Colbert gave it a coast-to-coast tip of his hat.

Not that Judson Phillips would grasp the irony.

Comments

1. ChadEkre says:

Here’s some data that shows that small businesses, mostly with 20 or less employee’s, have been producing the mass majority of jobs for at least the last 15 years.

Compiled from census data and the Bureau of Labor and Statistics:

Those are construction and paint crews, lawn companies, mom and pop businesses, restaurants, etc. that are the real “job creators”, not the Fortune 500 companies that have received huge tax breaks through gov’t influence.

2. Andrew Dahm says:

I guess patriotism is out of style over there on the right.

I’d be very curious what could happen, or, if it even could, if all local businesses only had to pay state taxes, and not federal (since all those federal folks are most likely not coming here to be consumers. If ONLY local government (in the state) benefited, would that change how corporate America did things, or the feds?

Probably out in left field somewhere, but it seems in the past, local communities supported themselves, therefore, there was more of a sense of true ownership, investment in one’s own community, and sense of responsibility about the quality provided. The Amish still do it, so I don’t see why it “can’t” happen.

My hat’s off (only briefly, mind you…as an avid hat wearer) to anyone who finds creative ways to challenge us).

“have now encouraged and supported “Occupy” demonstrations in our streets, which are now being perpetrated across the globe, and which are being populated by various marxists, socialists and even communists, and are protesting against business, private property ownership and capitalism, something I thought I’d never see in my country, in my lifetime.”

“Perpetrated?”

Makes it sound like a criminal act, or something obscene or dirty. Never mind that plenty of obscene, dirty and criminal acts HAVE been perpetrated against the populace for God knows how long….

Never thought I would see that in MY lifetime…?? It’s been going on for TOO MANY lifetimes.

5. Doug Gibson says:

I think now would be a good time to point out that Europe leads the United States when it comes to the percentage of the workforce employed by small businesses. That’s socialism for you!

6. Diogenes says:

I’ve got no dog in this fight, but it’s my impression that the oft-quoted maxim that small business create the most jobs is an urban myth.

The fed. gov’t considers businesses with 500 employees small. And claims that those businesses employ about 65% of American workers.

So the notion that mom and pop stores and landscape & cleaning companies are the engine behind the American economy is false despite what the RW Republican talk radio crowd say.

7. Andrew Dahm says:

A business employing 100-500 people is a small business in a whole lot of ways. Probably the most accessible statistic is CEO compensation relative to line employees, which multiple isn’t all that different from a very small business with, say, 10 or 20 employees. Whether it’s 5, 50 or 500 employees, you’re not going to see the head honcho pulling down the 300-600X multiples of journeyman employees until you get to the very big companies.

Adam Smith, who really pioneered the taxonomy of capitalism, certainly understood the qualitative (not merely quantitative) difference between small-cap capitalism and concentrated capital. And he argued strongly for regulating concentrated capital before it took control of the government. Franklin Delano Roosevelt – the president who saved capitalism – certainly believed in the regulation, reform and redistribution that Smith argued for.

We’re now told that these men were socialists. Who knew?

8. ChadEkre says:

Diogenes

See my link from post #1. Small business have been, by far, the most important creators of jobs over the last 15 years and more. Most of those businesses employ fewer than 20 employees. Small business is the engine of our economy.

But, most of the owners of these small businesses have an adjusted gross income of between 35K and 100K, meaning the so-called 250K tax increase plan would result in no change or a reduction in taxes for small business owners.

This contradicts the very oft stated claim by some that 80% of small business owners would see a tax increase under the current admins plan.

I don’t advocate for or against these tax plans, but I do think the facts should be represented in a honest way.