Oct

Friday Open Thread

TGIF, people.

Categories : Open Thread

Comments

BOMBSHELL – Massachusetts Supreme Court Rules That Most Foreclosure Sales From Previous 5 Years Are VOID

MA AG Martha Coakley:

“In the rush to foreclose, the banks’ reckless origination and foreclosure practices have created a domino effect that has harmed Massachusetts homeowners as well as third-party purchasers who purchased properties after foreclosure,’’ Coakley said in a statement. “This is yet another clear demonstration that the only way we are going to restore a healthy economy is to address the foreclosure crisis and hold the banks accountable for their actions.”

It seems the banksters weren’t even masters of their own universe.

2. Tom Buckner says:

My coworker Clay, who is very knowledgeable about this and other economic topics, describes it like this: The banks have gone and totally hosed the system of recording and conveyance of land records. Truly, where properties are under mortgage, for millions of Americans, nobody really knows–nobody can PROVE–who owns what. Three centuries of diligently keeping track of property deeds, flushed down the crapper.

He recommends a Jubilee, essentially a massive reset of debts. Wipe the slate, free the people.
    I’m up for that.

3. Yes. Jubilee!

Jubilee is biblical — Old Testament biblical. Leviticus 25.

Right in there with God telling farmers to take every seventh year off (bloated, union-style benefits), banning permanent ownership of land (communism), forbidding usury (anti-capitalist interference in the free market), and requiring aid for the poor (more socialism).

We’re not talking one or two isolated verses here, but 55 of them. You sure this God of Moses was a Real American?

5. Diogenes says:

Jubilee on student debt too.

6. Diogenes says:

NPR needs to take a good hard look at itself.

It’s important to note that Lisa Simeone is not employed or even paid by NPR. She is freelance. And happens, on her own time, at her own expense, to occasionally act as a spokesperson for Occupy Wall Street.

Yet NPR wanted to have her fired.

Simeone said, “I find it puzzling that NPR objects to my exercising my rights as an American citizen — the right to free speech, the right to peaceable assembly — on my own time in my own life. I’m not an NPR employee.  I’m a freelancer. NPR doesn’t pay me. I’m also not a news reporter. I don’t cover politics. I’ve never brought a whiff of my political activities into the work I’ve done for NPR World of Opera. What is NPR afraid I’ll do — insert a seditious comment into a synopsis of Madame Butterfly??

Me too.

“Jubilee on student debt too.”

After being sold and re-sold, that WOULD be nice.

But, careful, some idiot is likely to pop up and claim that Jews are controlling the capital of business again. We all know where that leads. Never mind all the businesses wiped out and wealth stolen from them.

Besides, don’t you know about the separation of church and state?

Or, really, any excuse will do, I imagine….

8. Tom Buckner says:

As I recall, the Bush regime installed reliable GOPists in PBS a few years ago, and I’m not sure Obama has really done much to reverse that. NPR and PBS are not exactly the same entity but when cold winds blow in one, I’d expect them to be felt in the other.

I’m reminded of Ken Burns’ PBS series The War, about America’s experience of World War Two. I missed most of it, and intended to catch it in reruns. But there’s a lot of stuff in there that conservatives don’t want to discuss, and it was never rerun to my knowledge, ever.