Oct

Facts About Mark Cates and the Asheville Tea Party

Fact: The Asheville Citizen-Times ran a story about last night’s Downtown Association City Council candidates’ forum. It contained this quote:

Cates said he did the books for [Asheville Tea Party PAC] out of friendship to one member and that members have supported him because of one key issue.

“I’m pretty sure I’m the candidate talking about jobs the most, and that is their biggest issue,” he said.

Fact: Mark Cates authored a op/ed in Asheville’s Daily Planet ten months ago in which he stated, “the tea party needs to focus on supporting local individuals who can develop experience in governing over time.”

He also urged people to, “focus our efforts on supporting candidates at the local and state levels that are aligned with Tea Party values.”

He rounded the piece out with this, “If we can’t change Raleigh and make it more responsive to issues important to Tea Party activists, what hope do we have of reforming Washington?”

He signed the letter – Mark Cates, Bookkeeper, Asheville Tea PAC

Fact: There was a call from Mark Cates’ Campaign Director, Matthew Hoagland, for Asheville Tea Party activists to volunteer for the Mark Cates campaign posted to the Asheville Tea Party website on July 25.

Fact: The Asheville Tea Party Twitter stream featured these tweets on July 25, 2011.

Fact: The Asheville Tea Party Tea Time Social on July 27th hosted two candidates to speak. One was David King, who plans to run for Buncombe County Commission and currently serves as Mr. Cates’ campaign treasurer. The other was Mark Cates. Invitation to the event included this message,

“Local elections count! As you have experienced first hand, our elected officials ignore you, spend your money, and continue to think of ways to ‘steal’ your property.

Help to get good candidates elected who are committed to protecting your individual and private property riths [sic]. They are committed to rolling back regulations that will stimulate job creation. Volunteer to put up signs, canvass, call neighbors.”

Fact: Mark Cates has not disclosed his Tea Party philosophy at all during this City Council campaign.

Fact: If you’re a registered voter in the City of Asheville, you can decide how to cast a ballot in this election. Click here to find your polling place. The primary is October 11th and the general is November 8th. For those of you who want to get right to it, early voting for the primary is open at 35 Woodfin St. in downtown Asheville through Saturday. More info on early voting here.

Comments

1. trifecta says:

Like the crazy evangelical school board candidates of the past 30 years, the only way this works is w/ an apathetic press and citizenry. If ACT and Mountainx don’t aggressively report this and if voters do no more than look at his bland meaningless platitudes propped on billboards, this will encourage more of these types of candidacies in the future. I have lived in districts where my position was the minority view and it sucks. The answer isn’t to deceive the voters but to canvas them, lead them to your views. Cates candidacy is an attack on a democratic republic governed by an open argument about ideas hashed out in the public arena.

There is a letter in today’s ACT by former City Council member Joe Dunn going after Marc Hunt, Chris Pelly, and more specifically Lael Gray. His letter claims that Gray “has stated that automobiles need to be eliminated from city streets,” which reminds me of the charges during one of Brownie Newman’s campaigns that he wanted to close the Blue Ridge Parkway to automobiles. So I guess the gloves are off now.

3. Dixiegirlz says:

There are many more questions than there are answers with Mr. Cates. Questions Mr. Cates is not answering.

Does Mr. Cates and his Wash,DC. / Chicago, Ill, PR spinmeister, Fritz Chaleff, think we’re such bumpkins that we cannot see through the b.s.?????

Here’s a page with fascinating information about another person who calls himself Mark Cates’ Campaign Director, Fritz Chaleff. Looks like he’s a political journeyman, normally doing communications for Congressional candidates, who’s come to little old Asheville to get Mr. Cates elected.

Fun excerpts:

Apr 2011 – Present
    Campaign Director / Mark Cates for Asheville City Council

Jan 2009 – Nov 2010
    Communications Director / U.S. Congressman Brian Bilbray

Feb 2008 – Jan 2009
    Communications Director / U.S. Congressman Tom Latham

2001 – 2002
    Staff / U.S. Senator Gordon Smith

5. Tom Buckner says:

Aaaaand this is how we find out Gordon Smith was once a U.S. Senator!

Maybe Mark Cates can claim he’s a different Mark Cates.

6. Dixiegirlz says:

STATE FOR SALE A conservative multimillionaire has taken control in North Carolina, one of 2012’s top battlegrounds.
    by Jane Mayer

OCTOBER 10, 2011
    “In a very real sense, Democrats running for office in North Carolina are running against Art Pope,” one political operative says.

Art Pope; North Carolina; Politics;

“In the spring of 2010, the conservative political strategist Ed Gillespie flew from Washington, D.C., to Raleigh, North Carolina, to spend a day laying the groundwork for REDMAP, a new project aimed at engineering a Republican takeover of state legislatures. Gillespie hoped to help his party get control of statehouses where congressional redistricting was pending, thereby leveraging victories in cheap local races into a means of shifting the balance of power in Washington. It was an ingenious plan, and Gillespie is a skilled tactician—he once ran the Republican National Committee—but REDMAP seemed like a long shot in North Carolina. Barack Obama carried the state in 2008 and remained popular. The Republicans hadn’t controlled both houses of the North Carolina General Assembly for more than a century. (“Not since General Sherman,” a state politico joked to me.)”………..c’ntd.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/10/10/111010fa_fact_mayer#ixzz1a1EB1K93

But it’s green tea!

8. Jake Quinn says:

Good one, Shad.

Mr. Cates, a stealth tea partier, says that he proposes using tax subsidies for green enterprise. I look forward to him reconciling his tea party politics with the notion of tax subsidies for business. But I’m not holding my breath waiting.

9. Tom Buckner says:

Perhaps, Jake, “tax subsidies for green enterprise” is code for private military contractors.

I’ll never forgive that Senator Gordon Smith. He got the good Twitter handle, and he won’t let it go!

@ Tom B.:

Is Mr. Cates not already pretending to be someone other than himself? Okay, well, at least politically.

Maybe he’s practicing for Halloween. If you get candy from him, I’d check it firt, though. Make sure no teabags are included.

Apparently some tea party people didn’t get the memo that Mr. Cates is a progressive wanting to promote a green economy and who loves Asheville’s culture. A letter in this morning’s ACT blasts Marc Hunt, Chris Pelly, and Lael Gray while supporting Cates all the while hitting all the right tea bag notes — “tax and spend” support for voter IDs, and even a swipe at the Occupy Wall Street movement. I guess some just can’t help themselves.

13. Tim Peck says:

Does no one here subscribe to the Asheville Tea Party newsletter? They have a slate of candidates listed in every one. I’m not one of them.
    ………………….

This thread is not about Tim Peck.

“I’m not one of them.”

Feeling left out, are we? And, no, I have no interest in a newsletter for a cause I don’t believe in. And, it doesn’t rate as interesting enough for me to spend my time reading just for my personal edification. I save that spare time for people like Nietzsche, Sartre, Kierkegaard, etc. You know – people who REALLY know how to think for themselves. I know enough TP people in real life to fill my curiosity for the absurd to last me a lifetime.

“This thread is not about Tim Peck.”

Now, Gordon, that’s not a very therapeutic thing to say, is it? You’re supposed to say, “so, how do you feel about that?” Oh, yeah, this thread is not about that, either, is it? I think he owes you for a session.

16. Tom Buckner says:

This comment is not about Tim Peck.

“This comment is not about Tim Peck.”

Okay. This one is, but I have to slip this in before I explode and my children become orphans. Out of curiosity, I linked to the League of Women Voters survey of the candidates for Children First. Mr. Peck had this to say:

“No, the city should not ensure that all city employees and contract workers make a living wage.”

In fact, almost all the questions had this theme: City Council should not get involved… including child poverty. It made me wonder why he wants to get elected AT ALL, since he would have nothing to do in Asheville… hands off government and all that.

::::whew::::: done… thanks for your patience. Now, my kids can keep me and not end up under the unwatchful eye of yours truly. Please don’t ban me… and PLEASE don’t start a thread for him b/c of me!

Ever notice how a narcissist is so capable of pulling people in? With 1 line, for god’s sake!

:::back to your regularly scheduled programming:::

“who’s come to little old Asheville to get Mr. Cates elected.”

Well, aren’t we special?! Some campaign director he is… never heard of him before and his name/expertise didn’t convince me here in little old Asheville, either. I voted yesterday and his candidate was NOT one of the spots I colored in.

19. Tim Peck says:

“This thread is not about Tim Peck.”

Oh heaven forfend.

Uh, I’ll send you a copy of the newsletter.
    …………………

20. Tim Peck says:

P.A.R.C. robocall against Republican #Asheville city council candidate Mark Cates. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly2_HIwvKpk #avlelect #avlnews
    …………………………..

21. Tim Peck says:

In the meantime, here’s their endorsement online:
    ………………………….

22. trifecta says:

I would not like to subscribe to Tim Peck’s newsletter, unless there are naked photos of Ayn Rand.

“I would not like to subscribe…”

Actually, if one got sent via email, I would then have a bone to pick with Admin.

Anyway, shoo fly…

24. Tim Peck says:

“I would not like to subscribe to Tim Peck’s newsletter”

And which newsletter would that be?
    ……………………………

25. Tim Peck says:

“Why would anyone who believes gov’t should be “hands off” get involved with politics, for god’s sake??”

Because the proper role of government is the protection of individual rights; including property rights and economic and political freedom.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men”

26. Dixiegirlz says:

Here’s a link to Frederick (Fritz) Chaleff ‘s pay as communications director. So why is he here with a stealth candidate and how much is Mark Cates paying him ????

“In the meantime, here’s their endorsement online”

I think we know this already.

“Because the proper role of government is the protection of individual rights; including property rights and economic and political freedom”

Well, according to your CF responses, you don’t believe Council should have anything to do with economically disadvantaged children, among your other questions with the “no involvement” response.

Pretty disingenuous of you to say you believe they should protect rights, economic or otherwise, when you opted out of expressing how they should be involved. That’s the kind of hypocricy that most disgusts me.

I’m also annoyed that you seem to think that you’re the only one who can bring about the changes needed… however that looks to you. Like I said – narcissistic.

Oh, I get it now… you think the rights of those WITH money need your protection, and those without don’t need your protection. Got it.

It will be ineresting to see how you manage with those WITH money don’t give it to you.

By the way, did you not see the comment that this thread is NOT about you? Sorry to add to your narcissistic injury.

Gordon’t a therapist, you know, and pretty damn good one. He might be able to give you some referrals.

30. trifecta says:

People with the guarantee of life should get guaranteed health coverage. 11 year old children dying from tooth infections is wrong. I will tax Tim Peck so it doesn’t happen.

31. Tim Peck says:

“People with the guarantee of life should get guaranteed health coverage.”

No one has the right to another person’s labor. That would be slavery. Is that what you are advocating? There is no right to violate another person’s rights.
    …………………………..

Yes, that’s exactly what it is: slavery. Thanks for clearing that up. Also, on a completely unrelated note, WTF is with the “………………..”

33. The “…………………………..” is his signature, shad. It means “I really have nothing to say that adds value to this, or any other, conversation”.

“[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDOme8Wy3sM[/youtube]”

WOW!!

“That would be slavery. Is that what you are advocating?”

It’s contagious!! Demented is right. I think Mr. Peck should be quarantined before he infects us all.

“I’m not one of them.” -TP

Maybe I’m an idealist, but I’ve got to believe that the outcome of the Council election will have the above outcome, for the reason below:

“It means “I really have nothing to say that adds value to this, or any other, conversation” -mat

36. Tim Peck says:

“Yes, that’s exactly what it is: slavery. Thanks for clearing that up.”

You’re welcome.

This has turned into a rather nice little thread about me. Again. Funny, huh?
    …………………..

Well, to be fair you and Cates are essentially the same candidate, except he has money, and something resembling a personality.

This has turned into a rather nice little thread about me. Again. Funny, huh?”

Maybe not so much. I have shown many people a printout of your narcissistic comments to let them know what kind of person who is running for Council. I failed to elicit a “oh, let’s vote for HIM” comments from the bunch. Beyond that, I’m done on this thread with you, so I hope you like talking with shadows that don’t show your reflection.

I don’t see any point in further “discussion,” so have at with anyone else foolish enough to fall for your dragnet of sludge.

Funny how when I roll in and hijack a thread, it becomes all about me!

I thought this thread had begun to be about absolutist libertarianism. What relationship does this have to the Asheville Tea Party, past and present? Mr. Peck and Ms. Franzi espoused an orthodox libertarian version of the Tea Party while the current leadership is more the Christian fundamentalist version.

40. Dixiegirlz says:

Cates has left a revealing paper trail. It’s the internet world and a candidate can run but he cannot hide. In this case Mr. Cates is running for office and hiding under the illusion of being a green progressive. Paper trails show otherwise.

41. Tim Peck says:

“Well, to be fair you and Cates are essentially the same candidate”

I don’t see it. Cates is a progressive, I’m a libertarian. Cates published a plan to have government run the local economy. I don’t want government to run the economy. Our websites contain completely different content. I’m not seeing any points of convergence between he and I. Perhaps you could expand on your assertion.
    ……………………….

42. Tim Peck says:

…………………

TJ is not TJ Thomasson.

I don’t see it. Cates is a progressive

Yes, and I am the King of Spain.

“Mr. Thomasson, did you just use the phrase “shoo fly…” to me in response to my comments on this thread? You seem to be exhibiting some bullying behavior towards me. Why do you think this is so?”

What Shad said… ;-). No resemblence, and no desire to sit on City Council, thank you very much.

Yes, I DID use the term, and I’d like to know how it is “bullying.” As much as you might like to play “victim,” you are not one. It is you, rather, who likes to “bully” others by hijacking threads and showing yourself to be less than capable of healthy relationships by being so egocentric.

If it is “bullying” to make it clear that your presence is not welcome on a thread that has nothing to do with you, then so be it. I am more concerned that you seem to lack the simple ability of recognizing that my comments are not veiled threats, nor “bullying,” but, rather, very straight forward attempts to clarify the confusion you seem to persist in as to whether the world revolves around you.

To be honest, I don’t know why Admin hasn’t disemvowled you for intruding in a space you can’t see as being about someone else. That kind of poor insight would make you a difficult client to treat, indeed.

As for “shoo fly,” if that is bothersome to you, I don’t know how you intend to participate in a process where so many people would oppose your vote on matters, or work against some proposal you might make.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot… since City Council has no place in so many problematic areas in your estimation, you wouldn’t have to do anything. So, WHY do you want to sit on Council??

45. verlaine says:

by Jane Mayer

I’m surprised that this hasn’t created more of a stir locally. Hometown radio wannabe Baby Beck Mittan is a veritable fountain of spoon fed daily talking points from the Art Pope machine.

46. Dixiegirlz says:

@Verlaine

This subject will be discussed on Thursday’s Asheville FM Newshour. From 7 to 8.

D: will you be discussing it, or are you just passing along info?

BTW, please shoot me before I respond to the resident narcissist again – PLEASE! For anyone who has said that this blog is not tolerant of differences…. well, here is one humongously differently-abled (challenged) that flies in the face of that argument.

48. Dixiegirlz says:

Yes, myself and (hopefully) other panelist will be discussing Pope, and the issue of “RedMapping.”