Sep

Shame on you, Mayor Bellamy

I’ve learned that Mayor Terry Bellamy has refused, for the third year in a row, to proclaim October 1 “Blue Ridge Pride Day.” You can find the full text of the proclamation after the jump.

Proclamations, as you probably know, are ceremonial statements that recognize special occasions or outstanding contributions by citizens in our community. They aren’t political things. They cost no money. But Mayor Bellamy doesn’t really like The Gays all that much — fire and brimstone and all that. But, once again, her outdated prejudices get in the way of her being an effective representative for all the people of Asheville.

It’s especially embarrassing for our fair city, a place many proudly see as a shining light of diversity, inclusion, and creativity. Not only will we our hold our annual Pride Celebration on that day, but hundreds of LGBTQ leaders from all over the nation will be in town next year for the Intepride Region 5 Conference. Hell, even Mayor Keith Summey of Charleston, South Carolina (where they’re still fighting the Civil War) agreed to be Grand Marshall of its Pride Parade last year. And he’s an old white guy.

We’ve all witnessed her bizarre meltdowns at City Council meetings and her immature and entitled behavior when publicly dealing with fellow council members. Aside from the fact that she wears her bigotry on her sleeve, I hear from reliable sources that she’s an arrogant pain-in-the ass to work with, she attempts to micromanage city staff (not her role, which is largely ceremonial), she’s uncommunicative with her peers, and she has a Princess Complex that would make Kim Kardashian blush.

Terry’s time has passed. It’s time for the Mayor to go. We need new leadership in City Hall.

Manheimer? Manheimer? Anyone?

PROPOSED REJECTED PROCLAMATION

WHEREAS, in an effort to foster an atmosphere of harmony, goodwill, and security, the City of Asheville recognizes the actions and contributions of all its beloved citizens; and

WHEREAS, the Blue Ridge Pride festival promotes unity, visibility, and self-esteem among lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender persons and provides an opportunity to celebrate in harmony with their allies; and

WHEREAS, Pride celebrations contribute much toward reducing misunderstandings, discrimination, isolation, and barriers faced by individuals of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community; and

WHEREAS, this annual event reflects the hard work and dedication of the Blue Ridge Pride festival sponsors and hundreds of volunteers who have made this festival a success:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, THE MAYOR OF THE CITY OF ASHEVILLE, do hereby proclaim October 1, 2011 as “BLUE RIDGE PRIDE DAY” in Asheville, NC, and call upon all the citizens of this great city to join me this celebration.

Categories : LGBT issues

Comments

Three other Council members can move any item onto the agenda. This would include Council proclamations, one would assume, even if they weren’t “Mayoral”. I wonder if any candidates who are also incumbents will seize this opportunity or whether it’ll be left to the same crew who pushes this sort of thing over and over…

2. Mayor Manheimer might make many moves most may mock.

3. Dixiegirlz says:

No mo Mayor Manheimer talk…pleeeze!

If only you had listened to (and voted for) me…

5. Dixiegirlz says:

Then there’s this…Jesus was a Capricorn ~ Kris Kristofferson

6. Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet.

He built my car.

7. ivanrich says:

Great article! Thank you!… will spread to every person I can corner into reading it. Had some experience with her back in her days at Mountain Housing Opportunities…. clearly known as not the brightest bulb on the tree, and a ‘difficult’ entity.
    And a bigot too… nice image for AVL. Yep, her time to go.

8. barry says:

You continue to display your trademark sense of humor, MM. It’s hilarious for you to attempt to ‘shame’ Terry for her hate & immaturity after the way you publicly attacked Joe Minicozzi. Joe is a popular and respected member of this community, but while he was standing in front of Council offering to serve on P&Z, you launched a character attack (complete with ethnic slurs) at him behind his back.

When are you going to man up and apologize, Michael? Until you do, please drop any attempt at piety, dude. You come off like a hypocrite.

I said a long time ago (well, when the equality resolution was voted on), that she doesn’t, and blatantly says she will not support a good portion of “her” people as Mayor. I mentioned it to my daughter’s school after they invited her to speak at their graduation.

So, again, just WHY is she still Mayor??

10. ivanrich says:

lol — a friend of mine who’s a waiter just messaged me to say she’s a lousy tipper too. Hear that, service-industry-and-voting constituency?

11. Joanna says:

Has she given any particular reason/excuse for not signing these proclamations?

Joanna,

I’m guessing her reason is contained (supposedly) in The Bible.

Because, she is a Bible-toting, tongue-talking believer (HER words) and is proud of it.

14. Dixiegirlz says:

On Feb 22, 2011, Bellamy said this: “People believe I shouldn’t be at an event or don’t represent them: That is a lie from the pit of hell!” Bellamy said angrily. “I represent them, like it or not — all citizens of Asheville. I won’t be pushed into a corner.”

Empty words, Mayor….empty words.

15. barry says:

Hey Admin. I call bullshit. My post challenging MM has been censored by a false ‘thumbs down’ count.

Oh, and actually, I think she said “Bible-thumping” Either way, same effect.

17. Management says:

The tinfoil hat looks good on you.

The way I see it, Barry, you’re just butthurt that 19 people so far have disliked your comment. Nothing was censored. Anyone is free to read your comment if they wish by clicking the appropriate spot.

Not everything has to be a conspiracy.

18. barry says:

Yeah, my bad. I guess it must be those same 20 “people” who “voted” for Mark Mathews all in one minute during the XPress P&Z poll.

19. Michael Muller says:

Barry,

It’s Asheville politics — you take your licks, you learn from them and move on, right? Everyone here seems to realize that but you. And Joe Minicozzi.

And besides, there was a reason your man Minicozzi wasn’t chosen. Twice. Or was it three times?

Do you really want to get into it? Really? Because I could put an end to it all right now, but I’d rather spare him the embarrassment (let’s think audio recordings, shall we?). I wouldn’t want poor Joe to be passed over yet again next time he goes to Council expecting an entitlement appointment.

Besides, you don’t even live in Asheville. Why are you so damn obsessed? Won’t anybody kiss you anymore with that silly looking beard?

No one likes a sore loser, Barry. Let’s let sleeping dogs lie, shall we?

Smooches,
    MM

20. barry says:

Wow Michael – Nobody said anything about politics or the reasons for Joe not getting on P&Z. Nice dodge.

As you know, I was talking about your behavior: publicly calling Joe a “prick” and making fun of his Italian heritage, his personal appearance, making innuendos about his relationship with his wife, etc etc. I was hoping you would be a stand-up guy and admit you crossed a line & insulted someone who did nothing to hurt you, but I can see now that you don’t have it in you.

21. Michael Muller says:

Can’t stand the heat? Stay outta la cucina.

Loveyameanit,
    MM

22. Deus Ex Machina says:

Did someone call WHINE-1-1? Because I think I hear the waahmbulance.

23. barry says:

So here’s the new rules: sexuality, ethnicity and personal appearance are fair game for public attacks during political debates, and extra points for vulgarity. Got it.

New?

New? As old as these hills…

There. Now I know how I might use that saying for something.

26. Michael Muller says:

“You’re just a bully, Michael. A mean son-of-a-bitch who smiles and drinks a lot & is fun to be around, as long as you don’t scratch too deep below the surface. I can see now why Bill & Carl Mumpower hired you.”

Good thing I’m not expecting an appointment to P&Z, huh? That sort of mean behavior might make people vote against me.

27. Dixiegirlz says:

I think she received a lot of votes because no one else of any possible electability stepped up to oppose her.
    And lots of people vote straight ticket. Since Asheville has a large population of Democrats who vote, she won. So in my mind it wasn’t due to her “social conservativism” or broad progressive support,…it was due to a lack or an electable opponent.

28. Bishop Andrew Gentry says:

Her Honour attempts to explain her bigotry by citing her “religious views” and the “spiritual? leadership? of her faith community(that is politically correct for church, mosque, and or temple)and of course in so doing proves why church, mosque, temple and State should never be considered the extension of the other! As to her political “justification” she would cite her base, but the truth of the matter is she was elected, not by the African American community ,but by the white upper class “liberals” who thought it would be very good for Asheville’s image to have a black female mayor.
    Asheville is very much a small town with all kinds of cliques and associations both seen and unseen. City Council sometimes cannot, it appears, even metaphorically pass wind for months until the pressure forces them to act and even then if the political and economic realities have been carefully calculated. Just check out the debacle with the now defunct Community Relations Council which has an office and no staff!
    Proclamations are fine and only important to those people and or issues being proclaimed. A GLBT proclamation would please the GLBT community and infuriate the bigots who oppose said community. You would have ever jack legged preacher and two bit psychologists in the area foaming at the mouth. (I was at the very first Pride March and I remember the threats and the wide eyed preachers falling on their knees as the march passed them by including one who had the reputation of being on his knees quite a bit but prayer was not the reason!)But perhaps such a spectacle from the right wing bigots and extremists would actually help both the City and the Pride community.

“Lastly no one looks to the Mayor for direction and no one takes her seriously on anything. Her term will expire and that will be that.”

And to that, I will say “thank God.”

I don’t even see how anyone could possibly say she may be a bigot, but she’s a nice person on a non-political level if you “really” get to know her.

That’s like calling the KKK a “good neighbor” because they smile and wave hi as you drive by on those rural roads. But, of course that’s rude to compare her to the KKK because she’s a “person of color” or whatever the latest PC term is(it keeps changing, so I’m confused…because I usually don’t refer to people by their nationality, honestly), but she’s a homophobic person of color(I don’t think that’s changed).

I love Aheville and all the people I have felt honored to meet, but with her in the mix, I feel a tinge of shame that no one has stood up and insisted she leave office.

“she was elected, not by the African American community ,but by the white upper class “liberals” who thought it would be very good for Asheville’s image to have a black female mayor.”

Well, it isn’t as if the “white upper class liberals” had much elsewhere to go. In 2005 her opponent was Joe Dunn who played Tweedledum to Carl Mumpower’s Tweedledee in their four years on Council together. Dunn once said that he was embarrassed by Asheville being compared to San Francisco adding that he didn’t care who knew it.

In 2009 progressives, liberals, whatever term you choose to use, gave her a pass as she was effectively unopposed for a second term. Why that is, I don’t know.

In the six years she served on Council before being first elected as mayor, she racked up a voting record that seemed to put her somewhat to the left of where Jan Davis is today. Since becoming mayor she seems to have shifted to his right. To make things more uncomfortable is that she often acts like she resents having to take a stand on issues like this. Her whining a few months ago about how she had been treated after one such vote claiming she was refused service in a restaurant and how she was told to “go back to Africa” (have white supremacists suddenly started championing gay rights?) is an example of this. Meanwhile her completely dropping the ball in the nominating process for P&Z was just flat out embarrassing and she seemed oblivious to that.

31. Dixiegirlz says:

Thanks RHS, you comment coincides with mine that there is a paucity of viable candidates.

To Bishop Gentry, thank you for placing your comments here. And a heart felt welcome to this forum.

I remember you writing a mention of the Community Relations Council on MtnExp’s forum (***reprinted in part below) and got little intelligent response. The powers that be just want this Community Relations Council to slip away, and be forgotten. There were plenty of very connected people on the BOD when something that has yet to be revealed happened. I see I’m not the only person still watching.

***“The current CRC is beset by tax penalties, no staff, and a as of yet unrevealed so called “restructuring plan” ,not to mention apparently non compliance with statutory regulations with regards to availability and format of records. The city has already removed any housing investigative authority thus withdrawing a major source of funding and outreach by the organization. Even though the question has been asked respectfully and often the City refuses to answer why it has not replaced what everyone agrees is non functioning non representative and apparently non accountable organization!”