Apr

Will we survive?

Way back on Tuesday, my friend and cohort Tom Sullivan posted an urgent plea asking you Hooligans to donate a little scratch to keep us up and kicking. And I’m sorry to report that his efforts went over about as well as a drag show at a Wendell Runion Tent Revival.

Did you know that it costs a few hundred clams every year to keep this two-bit operation afloat? Between hosting fees, maintenance and whatnot, it does Blanche, it does. And everything you see is done by volunteers: the graphic design, the long hours of beer drinking programming, all the back-end stuff — not to mention some of the best written dreck in Western North Carolina. Hell, see those cute little ads over there on the right? It might be Asheville’s best-kept secret that we don’t even charge for those. It’s our way of supporting the community in this tight economy.

We started from humble beginnings here at Scrutiny Hooligans — operating with nothing but a typewriter out of the back of our station wagon. Now we have an audience of dozens, if not hundreds. And I’m asking that each of you donate just $5 to keep the dream alive.

“But what do I get for my five bucks, Muller?” you may be asking.

What other local blog gives you direct, unlimited access to everyone’s favorite metrosexual city councilman? What other blog keeps you so informed of local political machinations and issues of vital local concern? What other blog provides you with a greater public forum to voice your opinions so you don’t actually have to ever leave your house? What other blog entertains you with the coolest Sunday Morning Music? What other blog gives you the scoop on who’s running for what and then changing their minds and pulling out and then deciding to run for something else? What other blog is as fearless and comprehensive in bringing you truth, justice, and the American way as we see it? And what other blog has given you such unrelenting ridicule of Chad Nesbitt and Don Yelton?

So I’m asking you to move your mouse up to the right hand corner of the page and click the Donate button. Five bucks is all we’re asking. Your five dollars will ensure that the cogent political discussion will go on, that some worthwhile non-profits will be helped and a total government shutdown will be avoided. And that means these children here won’t have to die and we won’t have to yank Sullivan’s feeding tube.

Doesn’t matter if you’re a Democrat or a Republican, a conservative or a liberal or a progressive or whatever. Certainly you can see that Scrutiny Hooligans is one of the best values out there. And did I mention any individual donation of at least $5 will get a special mention in an upcoming post? Well I just did. Five bucks. What’s five bucks?

Now, while we take your calls, here’s Mayor Terry Bellamy doing a little number to help get you through the donation form. Thank you for your support!

YouTube Preview Image

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of anyone else, including a certain city councilman. Although they might. One never knows, does one?

Categories : Asking for Money

Comments

1. Barbara O'Brien says:

Scrutiny Hooligans,

My name is Barbara O’Brien and I am a political blogger. Just had a question about your blog and couldn’t find an email—please get back to me as soon as you can (barbaraobrien(at)maacenter.org)

Thanks,
    Barbara

I hope everyone sees the value and ANYONE can do the $5. Unless you’re saving your money to help pay for all the people’s voter ID cards. Oh, I forgot, “we” don’t need one, “they” do. So, fork over the $$.

3. Thunder Pig says:

Blogger is free, plus you get a leg up on the SEO game…

4. barry says:

Hey, if you threaten to produce milk, I think the USDA will pay you not to. Problem solved.

5. Michael Muller says:

Barry, why the moo-cow obsession?

And the Nathan you’re going after over here isn’t the Nathan you think it is.

That’ll be five dollars. Problem solved.

6. barry says:

Holy Cow Crap, MM. Are you sure? He sure sounds like him… Fine, here’s a fin.

Ah, Priscilla.

8. Michael Muller says:

Tom: I love that version. Gordon and Brownie and Cecil look fabulous!

9. It worked Michael. I donated.

10. But I should note that Tom had already set me up for the pitch.

11. D.Dial says:

OK…I paid! ya happy now?

12. Jason Bugg says:

I pay ten bucks a month for my hosting. I don’t ask for a cent from my readers (now up to about 2,000 a month). Get over yourselves.

13. I’m in, just do me a favor and don’t tell the other blogs. They don’t know about us.

14. Tim Schultz says:

I’ll donate if you give me a monthly column to write about whatever I want! :O

15. Diogenes says:

Got an alternative to Paypal? I won’t use it after the miserable customer service following the hacking and heisting of $206 in my account. I got the money restored, eventually, but the way Paypal handled it is unforgivable.

16. Michael Muller says:

TJ, Barry, Cecil, Davyne, and Ascend: Thank you very much for your support. We love you.

ThunderPig: Thanks for the suggestion — I’ll pass it on up the chain. I just work here.

Bugg: Your readers are getting what they pay for.

Tim Schultz: E-mail me a sample of your work. Donate five bucks and we might even read it.

Diogenes: Next time you see Shad or Sullivan or me, slip one of us an envelope of unmarked bills. We’ll see that it gets to the right people. Capisce?

17. barry says:

Don’t try to make me laugh. A fin is all you get, Capisce?

18. Al Wyles says:

gotta say its worth 5 bucks just to follow this thread. very funny, give me your e-mail will see what we can do.

19. D.Dial says:

Jason, I thought you were a skinhead.

20. Michael Muller says:

Barry: It’s what I live for.

Bugg: You’re welcome. And for those of you unfamiliar with Bugg’s potty-mouthed rants, visit his blog here. It’s actually pretty good stuff, occasionally even brilliant.

Barbara and Al (and anyone else needing to contact us by email): simply click the Contact link down the right hand side of the page, under the Search box thingy — or you can just click this. Thanks for reading and for your support!

21. …..ka ching!!!!

as to blogger…. this blog has been there, done that.

22. Bugg, you said somewhere else on this site that you moved hours away from here. Are you saying you won’t give money to local blogs where you are now local, or to local blogs where you were once local? Near as I can figure, all blogs are local somewhere, though with the wondrousness of the internets, all blogs are also everywhere, meaning that everywhere is local now.

Probly, I figure, you don’t give to any blogs at all. Which is perfectly okay, but you don’t need to run down OUR local ones.

23. Dixiegirlz says:

I’m not alone in my frustrations with the direction our country seems to be heading….but railing at that direction on the national level is futile (in my mind.) So I’ve come to the conclusion that the only way to affect the direction is by local involvement. So I am most grateful for a forum to come to and discuss various issues facing us. And if it cost me a few bucks to help keep it going, well so be it. I’m happy Scroo Hoo is here.

“It strikes me as a very positive and refreshing thing that at least a couple of our present elected officials are willing to openly dialog with the public. By providing this forum it enables us to understand more fully each others points of view.”

Agreed. Not only that, but we get a chance to learn about their tastes in music, personal friends, and their capacity for snark… ;-)

That’s more than I know about pretty much any other politician. (And in some cases, I am glad I don’t know others more, just from what I’ve heard).

25. Michael Muller says:

I couldn’t agree more, TJ and Dixiegirlz. A wise old goat I worked for once taught me that if isn’t local, it’s probably not worth getting too worked up about. Local Matters, as it were.

I’ve never lived in a community where its elected officials are more accessible and open to the community — especially its online community — and I think Gordon and Cecil both deserve special props for this. Despite any policy differences we might all have, that kind of accessibility really has a way of renewing your faith in the system, somehow. And I’m proud of both of them for it.

Thanks again for your support of Scrutiny Hooligans, guys. In the end, of course, it wouldn’t be such a fun and special place if it weren’t for the great comments and incisive contributions of our readers.

MM

26. barry says:

Dude, I would pay $5 just to see that.

27. A musical challenge for Jason (and everybody else feeling punky):
    If you take the skin heads bowling and run off with a punk rock girl before they can sing God save the Queen, and you make a suggestion that you take the free money and rise above the bastards of young, only to find that Sheena is a punk rocker only interested in a TV party and should be institutionalized, do you assume complete control like a psycho killer and realizing that love comes in spurts vow to live fast, die young and go where eagles dare?
    I know its an urban struggle in the city. It’s no holiday in Cambodia. If you’re not going to smash it up, search and destroy and live with the bloodstains you might end up with some Hoodoo Guru, who though he knows that money changes everything still wants to hear you say “I wanna be your dog”.
    I don’t know, maybe its the total eclipse of the sun that makes me want to kiss off and say go to straight to hell.
    Gotta go, London calling.

28. Michael Muller says:

I’ve never known Bugg to be so coquettish.

Whatchya doin’ later, big boy? Call me.

“I’ve never known Bugg to be so coquettish.
    Whatchya doin’ later, big boy? Call me.”

Hey, Muller, what’s up?! You were supposed to meet ME, remember? I just couldn’t find a sticker. ;-(

30. D.Dial says:

Ascend…love your rant…priceless.

31. barry says:

I’m also curious why Buggs comments were removed a week after they were posted.