Apr

I Love This Town

Photo credit - Bill Rhodes

Photo credit - Bill Rhodes

Returning from tonight’s Town Hall meeting, I found myself again appreciating the forward thinking community of which we are a part. The Asheville Energy Independence Initiative can put Asheville at the forefront of a nationwide trend towards energy efficiency and greener opportunities for all of us.

Tonight’s attendees were people from across Asheville’s political, economic, environmental circles. It reminded me of the recent cross-pollination of disciplines that put Asheville in the hunt for Google’s world-class gigabit fiber optic network. And if we’re talking cross-pollination, how about luminaries from across the nation coming to town last weekend for HATCH?

President Obama and his family will honor us with a visit, drawing the gaze of the world to Asheville this weekend.

Flowers are exploding everywhere, and we’re again witness to the greening up the mountains. The Asheville Tourists are over .500. On Saturday, men in high-heeled shoes will parade downtown for OurVoice, and the Blue Ridge Roller Girls will wipe the floor with Johnson City, Tennessee. All Go West is about to throw a great festival in my neighborhood.

If you love this town and want to say so, then this is the thread for you.

Categories : Local, Loveletter

Comments

Meh, this town has its moments. Still pretty shitty on the good jobs front.

Thank you, Captain Wet Blanket.

Oh yeah, love it! I moved here from New Orleans, 20 years ago. The mountains called me here. I’ve never regretted my move here…..though I do visit N. O. often. It’s a good place to visit, but Asheville is a good place to live.

4. firelady says:

Gordon- I agree with you. I love this town, love the people, love the sense of possibility and connectivity within the community. After my wandering the country for the last few decades, can say I’m finally home.

5. Michael Muller says:

What gets me is that there never seems to be any Republicans at these things — except for Terry Bellamy and Jan Davis, of course.

Why would that be, I wonder? Oh, I wonder, wonder who, mmbadoo-ooh, who…who wrote the Book Of Love?

Sorry.

6. Bruce Mulkey says:

Yep, I love Asheville too. Thanks for all you’re doing for our community, Gordon.

Asheville is super-fantastic-happy-fun-place!

8. Deus Ex Machina says:

Yeah, I’m with Shad. If you’re lucky enough to actually have a decent-paying job (or, alternatively, can make a living selling goods or services to trust-fund hippies or retired part-time residents – you know, things like pot, faux-Mission-style furniture, and “life coaching”), Asheville is pretty nice.

It does tend toward a tight little clique, job wise. I was fortunate to be able to ship my work out to the world. I moved here and brought my livelihood with me. Asheville is still a “good ole boy” network job wise. That’s unfortunate (and very restricting) for the town…hopefully some fresh companies / industries will arrive and bring a need for real expertise, and not who you know type of hiring.

I hear there a four job vacancies at human resources in city hall. Maybe you “know” someone and can get one of those fairly well paid jobs????

Asheville is a great place to live in spite of, not because of the local power structure.

Meh, this town has its moments. Still pretty shitty on the good jobs front.

prove me wrong… (anyone?)

11. Big Ivy says:

I’m with you Shadmarsh. Asheville is a great place to live and a terrible place to work. 🙂 It has been that way as long as I can remember – and I’m older than God’s houseshoes.

12. randallt says:

This is our 18th year. It welcomed us when we came and has supported us ever since. But give The Shad the due. I’m leaving in the morning for a three day gig in Knoxville.

Still, there’s nothing in the world quite like downtown on a good weekend with good weather.

I haven’t had regular job in this town in fifteen years (he types from a motel in Charlotte).

14. Doug Gibson says:

Even when unemployed, I loved this town. Now I have a kid, I love Carrier Park, The Health Adventure, the Brew ‘n’ View, and whatever that park is in Woodfin where you can walk out across a fallen tree to some rocks in the river.