Dec

Thursday Reading – Christmas, Parkside, and Barack Obama

{Picture of a fallen Santa, taken a couple of years ago in Raleigh}

Of all the reasons to put the brakes on global warming, the ability to grow and chop down fir trees for the late December Christian festival hadn’t occurred to me. Heath Shuler and the Christmas tree growers have been giving it a lot of thought. The congressman, the growers, and some climatologists will come together today for a press conference to urge Congress to take up significant legislation to slow climate change.

Google Street View captured Asheville.  Very cool.  Very strange.  A little scary.

Regarding Parkside – County Commissioners went into closed session Tuesday to discuss various ways forward on reacquiring the land.  Word on the street is that while Jones and Gantt were strongly in favor of getting it back, Stanley, Peterson, and Bailey wanted to just let Coleman’s lawsuit play out in the court of appeal.  Stanley and Peterson haven’t altered their positions a bit, and they’re not going to.  K. Ray Bailey on the other hand is the swingin’ vote.  This zombie issue isn’t going away.

If you’re into urban development and economics, check out this site – New Geography.  Thanks to Clark Mackey for the heads up.

Barack Obama’s choice of Republican Ray LaHood to head up the Department of Transportation is going to get the disaffected folks all panties-bunched again.  I think Obama is about to bring some incredible changes, and a lot of that’s going to happen at the Transportation level.  Putting a Republican in charge of instituting that change gives Obama lots of political cover.  The same is true of Gates at Defense.

As to Rick Warren giving the invocation at the inaugural?  Who knows what that’s about.  Warren openly advocated taking civil rights away from Californians with Proposition 8, and he lied to do it.  I think he’s a despicably impious man cloaked in the robes of the evangelical establishment.  Warren’s presence is a nod to the evangelical population in America, but it’s a finger in the eye of everyone else.

Comments

1. Rick Warren is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Sorry, I know everyone loves him, but I had to say it.

I just want to be the first (here anyway) to say fuck Rick Warren.

3. Arratik says:

Aw shit, you had to dig that picture up, didn’t you?

4. Obama is the new Carter…

5. Obama is the new Carter…

???? k, Carter was b4 my time, care to expand…?

6. bobaloo says:

Let’s let him get into office first, shall we?

I really don’t have an issue with Warren performing the invocation. The best way to change someone’s opinion is through inclusion, not flipping them off. I think Obama is attempting to build a bigger tent and I’m happy he’s doing so.

Arratik, is that you?! What are you, 50?

Bob,

He used to be 50, but that’s before the Wii Fit got a hold of him. Now he’s twenty-two.

And Bob, Rick Warren practices exactly the opposite of the inclusionary persuasion you like. If we’re hunting a bigger tent, why not invite Karl Rove, Jerry Falwell, and al-Sadr in as well?

I think the Warren involvement, due to its brevity and inconsequence in the greater scheme, is something I’ll do my best to keep my blood pressure down about. But it truly is a slap in the face to everyone who had their civil rights taken from them in California.

9. Arratik says:

bob – as baldness tends to run in my family, I’m actually grateful that I ended up with premature graying instead. :)

For the record, I’m 39. And that’s the front lawn of the state house. And there were copious amounts of alcohol involved during that evening…

10. Arratik says:

Oh, is shoe throwing still happening @ ABC tonight?

I’ll be at ABC for shoe throwing at about 8pm.

12. Arratik says:

I’ll make a target.

13. bobaloo says:

Yes let’s! Except Falwell. He’s dead. And Sadr. I hear he’s a dick and probably wouldn’t RSVP.
    I didn’t say we have to agree with specific beliefs in any way, but I’m so tired of the divisive nature of modern politics. Inclusion is inclusion and someone has to get the ball rolling.

14. bobaloo says:

Arratik, my bald spot could be the target.

Bob,

Why do you want to exclude the dead? How very George Bush of you.

16. Adam says:

Bob -

Are you offering up your head for us to throw shoes at?

17. Arratik says:

Here’s what I came up with. (The actual size is 3300 x 5100 @ 150dpi, i.e. 22″ x 34″)

18. bobaloo says:

Adam, just remember I throw back.

19. ObamaTJ says:

After the Rick Warren pick, I am ready to toss a shoe at Barrack. Anyone know a good place to get a back-stabbing tattoo removed?

20. Doug Gibson says:

And apparently bob wears Tims, so watch out.

Oh, and if I start posting more, can I also get knock-down drunk in front of the state house?

21. Marcus Parrish says:

Rick Warren, huh? Perhaps someday, he will throw off the shackles of misplaced self-shame and declare that his “purpose” is to be the best “bear” he can be! Until then, fuck Rick Warren and his puerile mythologizing about nothing.

Marcus Parrish

“Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man”
    -Thomas Jefferson

Lighthouses are more useful than churches”
    -Benjamin Franklin

“I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved – the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!”
    -John Adams

22. Arratik says:

Hey, thanks for stopping by, Marcus!

(Marcus is an old buddy of mine from days and daze of yore.)

23. Marcus Parrish says:

Glad to be here. Oh, and just to make the point. I was never living at Motel 6! lol

24. bobaloo says:

Yay, let’s bash Christians.

25. bobaloo says:

And I swear I’ll show up for a DL sooner or later.

26. ash says:

using that photo was so wrong…

27. Gianna says:

leaked obama transcript explains rick warren decision:

28. Arratik says:

You missed a good time, bob. SHOE-NAMI!!! was loads of fun.