Jul

Don’t forget to say hi to Pat

7:30 is post time

Syntax just posted this at BlueNC

The virtual townhall is being hosted by a company called Meet With Congress. If you visit the main page, you’ll see the following price schedule for their services:

FLAT RATE:

* $899 per month with contract until 12/31/07
*Includes unlimited use of 100 seats simultaneously
* $1,199 per month with a month-to-month contract
* Includes unlimited use of 100 seats simultaneously
* $.10 per person/per minute over 100 filled seats.

PAY – PER – USE:

* $0.16 per minute per person

Optional Webcam and Microphone: $50

I’m guessing that since this is “unprecedented”, McHenry is just putting his, um, toes in the water to test it out and is going with the $0.16/minute/person rate. It may not seem like much $$$ at first, but if 100 people stay for an hour, that works out to $960. Doesn’t that just want to make you get all of those old computers in your basement working again and connected to your router? 🙂

I hope someone can liveblog or even Screencast this…

I ditto his request. It seems many Hooligans have previous obligations, as do quite a few folks at BlueNC. I’m going to try to get there but it’s quite likely I won’t. So, I’m hoping we’ll be able to see the town hall after it’s gone up or someone can record it for us ?????

Categories : Patrick McHenry

Comments

1. Drama Queen says:

I’ve been trying to get on the site for ten minutes now and it’s a no-go. I bet this whole thing fails due to band-width problems!!!

2. It’s up and letting me in.

3. Drama Queen says:

I just got in, too, but nothing is happening yet.

4. He says he wants to “modernize” FISA.

5. “Candace from Spruce Pine” says that Pat doing a great job!

What is your stand on earmarks? – asks some guy

“Some are useful, but most are not.”

“What are you going to do to stop the invasion of our nation by foreigners?”

Pat – “I’m going to show you a couple of slides later on”…”fighting against Amnesty”…”Passed a fence act to build the southern fence”…”focus on securing the border”…”internal enforcement”…”clean up the system by which people come to the Untied States legally”

6. “so-called hate crimes legislation…what it would say is this, “Your thoughts will determine your sentence””

“I think this is a little odd. I voted against the legislation because I think it polices thought.”…”A minister reading from the pulpit…saying that homosexuality is against God’s Law. Let’s say someone heard this message…goes out and murders a homosexual. Not only could the murderer be charged but also the minister saying that hoosexuality is a sin.”

“It would have a destructive impact on our society”

7. “Linda Osbon from Hickory”: When will Congress investigate and prosecute war profiteers like Halliburton”

“Democrat House has done nothing but investigate”…”We’ve only passed 50-some pieces of legislation, most of which are issues of renaming federal buildings and post offices.”…”The Iraqi parliament has enacted more bills, yet people say the Iraq parliament is not functioning”

Pat? Where’s the answer?

8. Rough Pat:

The big disagreements I’ve had with this President:

– Trade
    – Immigration (Bush wants amnesty, slow to build the fence)

——–

From “interested voter”. Why should we give illegal immigrants stuff?

“If you don’t respect the law, you won’t respect the law once you’re here?” – Pat

9. Mary from Caldwell County: What can we do about the tainted products from China?

“Enormous military building, they’re taking an aggressive military stance against the world.”

“The reason I don’t think we should support importing drugs from other countries”

——-

10. Phil Byrd from Spruce Pine: “Thank you for standing up for our conservative values.”

——–

“What issues are most important to you right now?”

Then pops up a very cool, live interactive poll – Health Care is number one followed by immigration and gas prices. McHenry, therefore, talks about gas prices.

“I think you can go too far” – regarding environmental laws. We need more refineries and more exploration for gas. Look at oil shale. Look at long term solutions like hydrogen power.

11. Terry Sigmund from Hickory, “Don’t you think we could all just ride bicycles like some of the liberals suggest?”

This elicits a belly laugh from Pat.

12. The President has been hammered for a number of decisions he’s made. The Attorney General scandal and Iraq War have hurt Bush, then he blames a fatigue with Presidents in the latter parts of their terms.

Congress has a very low approval rating due to “massive tax increases” – Democrats haven’t addressed how we need more refineries.
    – They’re producing massive new spending projects

13. Health Care is big economic issue –

We need more competition. Allow people to spend tax free for health insurance. Illegal Immigration, fences, internal enforcement.

Taxes!

– They’ve said they’re going to increase taxes
    – I’m opposing tax increases
    – Spending under the Democrats going up “close to 10%”.

———–

Nuclear energy – “We need more”

—–

Why not have a flat tax?

“I agree with you completely” – “Anything is better than what we currently have”

14. Pat warns us about honest to God open public meetings across the district in August.

He wants some “back and forth”.

15. Drama Queen says:

I recorded it on video and mp3 but the quality will be really bad. The mp3 seems okay.

Syntax, can you tell me how to post the mp3?

The video got interrupted twice and was really hard to focus until I got a tripod.

16. Drama Queen says:

yeah, screwy, he ducked the only good questions. On partisan politics and health care.

You get the idea that the district is about 90% republicans from the questions he chose to answer.

James Protzman “Democratic majority not Democrat”
    It’s just shorthand for Democratic. Thank you for bringing that up.”

17. syntax says:

DQ: I’m still working on getting WebFTP working. In the meantime, can you send it to me using one of those large file sites like senduit.com? If it’s less than 100MB, that should work.

Screwy: bringing the liveblogging, even on vacation!!!

18. Drama Queen says:

Well, I finally figured out how to delete the dead air at beginning and end and I am uploading it right now to boomp3.com which says it hosts audio . . . you still want it, too?

I didn’t delete the background noise. I guess it’s on their end because I just opened the cool edit and hit record having no idea if it would work.

19. syntax says:

I’ll just grab it from boomp3.com when it’s finished.