Apr

Shuler With Dole, McHenry, Norquist, Hayes, and Foxx

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketI’m still waiting on an answer from Shuler’s team regarding his inexplicable and deeply disturbing plans to legitimize North Carolina’s most partisan and least truthful Republican group.

If you haven’t gotten an answer either, there’s always the telephone…

(202) 225-6401 or (828) 252-1651

Comments

1. syntax says:

If it makes you feel any better, I haven’t heard anything back either.

I fully expect a boilerplate letter on Congressional letterhead about two months from now thanking me for my concern but reminding me that the only way to get anything done is to reach out to those across the aisle. Which is all well and good – I’m all for Congress cutting the partisan bullshit and getting things done. I’m just not entirely convinced that Patrick McHenry, Virginia Foxx, Liddy the Liar, Grover Norquist and anyone else still clinging to that useless neoconservative agenda are the ones that Dems, conservative or no, should be reaching out to.

Anyway, your mileage may vary. I’m just going to have to trust that Shuler and his handlers know what they’re doing for now. If that means disappointment later on, so it goes.

2. They’re going to get a statement together for us, but the gist of it is this: By attending the fringe-Republicans gathering they will demonstrate a willingness to talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime with the intention of focusing on common ground and trying to devilify the Democratic Party brand with the foamy Norquist-lovers, that if they can see a Democrat and hear one talk without the filter of the media, they might come to think of Democrats as human beings instead of three-headed beelzebubs.

I disagree with their position and let them know as much, focusing on legitimizing this nakedly partisan organization that masquerades as a 501(c)3 nonpartisan group.

So there’s more coming from the Shuler folks, but that’s the general idea.

3. Drama Queen says:

This is very sad. Do you think they are just ignorant about how unethical Civitas is … I mean, that they think it’s simply a conservative group and not an illegitimate one. Or, do they know and not understand the ramifications of legitimizing a phony astroturf-type operation?

4. From Andrew Whalen, Communications Director for the Congressman, “Generally, the idea behind it is that as Democrats we must speak to all people whether we agree with them or not. We can change no minds if we don’t make our case. As I said on the phone when you mentioned the Republican “Machine”, us standing across the street and railing against the machine does nothing, but by crossing the street we can have an effect on that machine. If there is one young person there whose mind opens up after hearing Congressman Shuler speak, we’ve had an important effect.

Just as the purpose of your blog, Blue NC, and any other number of blogs is to communicate ideas and influence people, that’s what the purpose of this speech will be…to communicate and influence.”

So it goes.

5. syntax says:

That’s some mighty fine spinning there…

What case is Shuler planning on making? What does Shuler think he can say to these people, spoon-fed on greed, lies, hatred and talking points, that will cause that theoretical “one person’s mind to open up?”

I know, I know, at least Shuler’s making an effort… I’d hate to sound like a total freakin’ dork here, but I’m going to have to quote the wisdom of Jedi Master Yoda: “Do, or do not. There is no try.” If Shuler’s still going to go through with this, he’d better make damn sure that he swings for the fence.

6. Drama Queen says:

When is Shuler’s staff going to get outside their little insular world and plan things that make sense instead of things that make Shuler look stupid.

Should we sent them a list of conservative groups that are worthy of his attention?

7. rip says:

So what is Heath’s message going to be?

Although I’d prefer he wasn’t in the company of the attendees of this “Conservative Leadership Conferee” I want to hear what he has to say.

If he doesn’t stir the pot and speak for the people who voted him in….we have the wrong person representing us.

Right now I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. But if he sucks up to these faux “conservatives” we need to give him hell.

8. rip says:

In fact instead of contacting him and asking him not to show up with these idots we should call him and let him know that we will be listening very closely to what he has to say. We need to do this before this event takes place.

9. this nakedly partisan organization that masquerades as a 501(c)3 nonpartisan group.

The time I attended one of Civitas’ events, Jack Hawke several times deferred on answering questions that required a purely partisan answer, saying something like, “Well you know now, we’re a non-partisan organization” – followed immediately with an impish wink, wink.